DIY: Auxiliary Input Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 02:00 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
DIY: Auxiliary Input Installation

Well, to start, I know there is already a sticky for this procedure, and there are a couple more floating around here on the forum. That said, I believe this is--so far--the cheapest way of installing an auxiliary audio input without compromising the CD changer's functionality. Thanks to NotSoFastEddie for his pioneering data gathering, he made this modification much easier and saved me from having to trace wires.

Difficulty Level: Elementary-to-Moderate, Soldering Skills Required

So, first, a little background. As we all know, there is no auxiliary input for our car. This method allows for the use of a switch to determine the signal flow that reaches the radio. It's basically just like a valve for water, for people who like that analogy.

And of course, the disclaimer. Although I'm pretty sure I don't have to say this, but if you screw up your car by doing this and try to sue me, Acurazine, or your dog, whatever, you'll lose. You can cross wires while doing this project and either ruin your stereo, CD changer, or MP3 device. It is highly recommended that you have experience with soldering and basic analytical circuitry skills. Also, there may be a risk of fire if this modification is not done properly.

Now to get to the good stuff.

So here is a list of tools/equipment you will need:
Screwdriver
O-Ring Puller
Soldering Iron
Solder
Wire Strippers
Heat Shrink
Drill
Multiple Size Drill Bits (A drill index would be best.)
Hot Glue Gun
Female 3.5mm Jack
DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) Switch
Grounding Crimp

Let's get started.

First I will show you a picture of the completed project, so you have an idea of what is going on.

Here is a basic diagram of what is happening with this modification.

Start by taking your DPDT switch and soldering lengths of wires to each terminal. The center terminals will go to the radio while the two sets of exterior terminals will go the the CD changer/MP3 source, respectively. If you install it like I did, the wires to the 3.5mm jack will not need to be more than a few inches long. But for the other ones, leave yourself plenty of room to run it to the back of the radio. At the same time, solder your 3.5mm jack to the wires coming from the DPDT switch. Also, use the grounding crimp and find a bolt--I used one right by the SRS computer--to ground your 3.5mm jack to.

I used a 5/16" drill bit to drill a hole for my 3.5mm jack, but depending on what kind of jack you buy, you may have to use a different size. I drilled the hole so that the jack would be able to have a friction fit; it also had threads that I could use to tighten into the plastic to get a better hold. Whatever DPDT switch you buy, too, will determine how big to drill the hole for the switch. I used a hot glue gun to secure the DPDT switch the the back of the panel.

Now comes the kind of tricky part. If you haven't taken out your head unit controls already, do so now. Unplug all the connectors and find the 12-pin connector that goes into the back of the stereo, but there are only 8-pints inside it. Use the O-Ring puller to pry the cover off of the connector. You should see something like this.

So this is where Eddie's trace work comes in (THANKS!). If you have the navigation system our pins looks a little bit different than the picture Eddie made, but the wire colors are still the same.

The wires we care about are 6,7,8. They are green, gray, and blue, respectively. They happen to be conveniently wrapped in electrical tape together. Take the tape off and in the middle of where the wires meet the shielding and the connector cut the blue and green wires. Use the wire strippers to expose the bare wire on all four ends now. Solder and heat shrink the wires that go to the connector to the middle terminals of your DPDT switch and then the ones to the CD changer to the remaining terminals of the switch. Make sure all your connections are secure and safe from shorting.

Now would be a good time to test your system!

Put the plastic covers back onto the pin connector and go back together with your car.

Come on you moderators! Sticky?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So, Earl. I probably should have asked before getting to excited about doing this. Will it work on a 00' non nav?
Old 12-31-2013, 02:15 AM
Racer

I would assume so. I believe the wiring didn't change at all from 1999. Use that picture of the pin diagram from Eddie, or go here

http://pinouts.ru/CarAudio/alpine_cd...r_pinout.shtml

You can check by using a couple of alligator clips and some sewing needles. On one end of the alligator clips, attach the needles and push them into the wires. Plug the other end to the terminals on the jack, press play and see if it works.

This is prevent having to cut into the wires.

Let me know how this works out.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Very nice work my friend, very nice indeed.

I wanted to do something like this years ago but slacked on the research. Im glad you pulled through though.

RL-Nation, Same principle would apply to the non nav model, but you would need to verify the wiring like Earl said. If you don't use the cd changer you can also use a universal ipod aux input adapter that replaces your cd changer.
The following users liked this post:
MyNameIsEarl (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 07:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah I know about that rout but I'd prefer if I could keep then CD changer operational as well. Thanks for your guys' help.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Very nice. Anyway, I have a question regarding the cigarette lighter. Every time I plug into the cigarette lighter it keeps blowing the fuse. Does any of you know what is happening? Thx.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 3.5RLv-tec?
Very nice. Anyway, I have a question regarding the cigarette lighter. Every time I plug into the cigarette lighter it keeps blowing the fuse. Does any of you know what is happening? Thx.
Seems to me that your cigarette lighter is a little temperamental. I suppose you could say that... it has a short fuse.

I kill myself sometimes!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aux

Hello Erol, will this also work an 04 Rl with Nav?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Racer

Hello Giiip,

I'm not entirely certain, you'd have to confirm tis for yourself. The basic principal of the idea should work. The only thing is that I don't know if the '04 radio expects a particular signal from the CD changer that may be used to detect problems. What you can do to try it out is get a couple of sewing needles and push those into the L Sound and R Sound wires that you've identified. Take the CD magazine out and push play on your MP3 device as well as set the radio to CD mode. If you hear sound and don't see any smoke, then yes, it will work.

Earl
Old 05-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but if I remember right the cd changer is built into the radio on the 04s. You have to aux in via the satellite input or something.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Not_So_Fast_Eddie
Correct me if I'm wrong but if I remember right the cd changer is built into the radio on the 04s. You have to aux in via the satellite input or something.
Good call Eddie.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:33 PM
Racer

If you do this with the navigation conversion, it also works, in case anyone was wondering.
Old 07-17-2023, 01:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
recommended double pole, double throw button?

Sorry to revive such an old post, but none of the photos are working. Was there a recommendation of where to find an appropriate DPDT switch or button? Is there a Honda part that would work and look stock?

--Thanks!
Old 10-17-2023, 12:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's a DPDT switch or button?
Old 10-17-2023, 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,616 Likes on 6,654 Posts
Originally Posted by Vernondo
https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=What%...h+or+button%3F
Old 10-18-2023, 07:39 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Double pole, double throw button

Originally Posted by Vernondo
Look at the subject line of my reply (this comment). Basically, a DPDT switch allows you to control power to two separate devices with the same switch. In one position, one of the devices is off, but the other is on. In the second position the second device is on but the first is turned off.