Driver Door Armrest

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Driver Door Armrest

I am curious if anyone else is experiencing similar wear on the armrest (driver's door).

I expect it will wear, especially where my elbow rests. What I am seeing is the leather is 'bubbling' and seperating from the foam below the leather.

My RL is 8 months old and 8K miles. I will point it out to my Service Manager next visit, but I'd like to know if it is common with other RL owners.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Negatory on that, good buddy. With only medium-long legs, I have to keep my seat so far back that I can't reach to rest my arm on the %&$#@! armrest at all.

Hope the SM makes good on it.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:53 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Nope, nada. No problems here.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:05 AM
Advanced

No problems here 14 Months still looks new
Old 05-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Instructor

something kind of similar

In my 1G RL (1996 - 2006) I had definite stretching of the arm rest leather and crushing of the underlying foam. I've always got an elbow resting there and 145,000 miles took their toll. It looked bad but not terrible. In my new 2G RL I've been watching for signs of wear but haven't noticed any in the first 9 months of ownership. I do go over that area with a leather cleaner/protectant every few months since I know it's prone to problems. Also I noticed the black dye from my wool coat (worn six months a year hear in MN) was staining the parchment leather a bit, but the cleaner took care of that too.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:49 AM
'05 RL 300K Miles

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
No problems here. I'm guessing the service manager will fix the problem for no charge.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
For whatever reason, the armrest does not fit me. I find myself always using that scallopped out portion of the door just below the window...now that seems almost custom made for me. No wear there yet.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:01 AM

Funny, it all depends on how tall you are and how you have your seats set. Because of this thread, this morning I looked closer, as I mentioned, no issues.

I then realized that I hardly ever have my ar resting on the arm rest. I usually have my elbow resting at the top of the door panel (by the little crease/indentation) near the window.

I tried resting it on the armrest and it felt awkward.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:14 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
No problems here either. However, I usually drive with both hands on the steering wheel so neither armrests get that much use.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Intermediate

No wear here,,,6 months ownership,,,my 2002 RL has the pit on right armrest,,,I, too, usually use 2 hands in driving,,,btw,,,am driving a rented 2007 Caddy this week,,,Sucks!,,,
Old 05-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
No probs here. I usually rest my elbow on the indentation just below the window.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Unhappy

Thanks for the feedback all. I will ask my SM about it soon, and likely it will be replaced (the who door panel? ).

The leather is not split or torn (I condition monthly). It just appears as the leather 'skin' has become separated from the foam unerneath, causing the leather to bubble. If the car was a couple years old, I would not question it, but since it is only 8 months old, and I take meticulous care with it, I will get it replaced. The center console armrest show no wear at all, and I alternate resting arms (and I can still keep both hands on the wheel).

I may have to start driving with elbow pads!
Old 05-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Mine is OK, too. My 1995 Legend armrest started to "bubble" a little bit in the door pull area.

I'm not sure that any of the RL armrests are actually leather, though?

There is a now soft spot on my center armrest where my elbow usually rests.

Rob
Old 05-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Have an OBP 06 RL too with ebony leather inside. I always rest my left arm on the door arm rest. No bubbling issues at all. Hope yours gets fixed.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:10 AM
VIP

I'm not sure about bubbling, but the hides that were used in my RL were obviously taken from some abused cattle. But to me, I like the look of real leather with lots of scars and bug bites. When the leather in our RL's get's wet, it will bloat a little as the water is absorbed. Especially the leather on the armrests as they appear to not be as well sealed as the leather on the seats, but this is also why it is softer to the touch.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

I appreciate all the feedback.

I wanted to be sure I was not being too anal about the leather condition before reporting to the Service Manager.

I am on my way to the dealer tomorrow to see what they offer. Likely parts will need to be ordered anyway. i wonder if just the armrest is replaceable, or they have to do the whole door panel?

Either way, I will get the RL washed. It is too smoky here with all the fires and I'd likely need full scuba to be outside more than 10 minutes *cough* .

The gentleman at my dealer who does the hand washesis fond of a Cuban Bakery nearby, and I usually bring by treats. Most customers get a decent handwash. I usually get full detail.

A little kindness goes a long way.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Racer

I have noticed that where the stitching runs on the edge of the armrest it has become a bit bumpy/wavy. I tried to smooth it out once with a roller but no luck. It is no big deal though.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

Well I just got back from the Acura dealer. They are replacing the entire door panel.

Apparently the armrest alone cannot be replaced. I did not even have to point it out, he opened the door and just said "that needs replacement". And I am also getting the driver's seat leather replaced. "It should wear better than that". Go figure, I should have asked for a winning lotto ticket while I was at it.

On a side note: when he made the appointment to make the replacements, he asked me if an MDX loaner would be OK. I said sure (I've wanted to drive one). I asked if they were already booked out on RLs and he said they have none left in the loaner fleet. Inventories for RLs have been so low, they sold them!
Apparently the turn down on inventory has created an artificial demand? Even on a small scale. And YES there was an RL in the showroom.

And yes, my RL is now spotlessly clean after the visit (and I am full of Starbucks & pastry). Dealer experience DOES make a big impact on product impressions.

Bring on some new hides!
Old 05-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Wow, that's great service! Let us know what you think about the MDX. I wish my local dealer was like that. I brought my MDX in for a tranny problem. They said nothing was wrong, couldn't find it. Asked what's it doing. I replied the same thing listed in the TSB that was issued...
Old 05-13-2007, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by noobie
Wow, that's great service! Let us know what you think about the MDX. I wish my local dealer was like that. I brought my MDX in for a tranny problem. They said nothing was wrong, couldn't find it. Asked what's it doing. I replied the same thing listed in the TSB that was issued...
My dealer has one RL in the fleet, a couple MDXs, RDXs, and the usual TLs, and TSXs. RL owners get their choice.

Got a chance to drive the MDX. I must admit that the new version is pretty sweet. Coming out of the RL, I didn't feel like there were many compromises, and it handles VERY well for an SUV.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:12 PM
9th Gear

Kind of OT but related......

I have a 98 RL, and I am guessing the 96-04's are the same as far as interior materials. Are the arm rests made of leather or vinyl? Also, what parts of the seats are leather? (Just the seating surface or the whole seat)

I want to make sure I condition the real leather parts with leather juice instead of vinyl juice.

I know this is a Gen2 forum, but it seems there is a lot of Gen1 knowledge here as well. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking Got my RL back today!

New armrest. Yay! And new leather on the driver's seat. Excellent work, looks new. The new leather on the driver's seat is not quite as tight as the original, but looks excellent and I am sure will wear in soon.

Also, they adjusted my door slightly. The door is well aligned but it seems Honda has difficulty getting the chrome trim strips (along the window sills) properly aligned. I have noticed many RLs where this chrome trim has an obvious break between the front & rear doors (including RLs in ads!). This break accentuates where it is slightly misaligned front door to back door...especially on darker color vehicles.

A car wash, new MDX loaner (what a hoot) , some Starbucks & doughnuts made my day. I was VERY happy to get back into my RL. One day and I was missing it so.

Sorry SpicyMikey....no jelly beans!
Old 06-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
No problem. I don't need the calories anyway. I'm not an undernourished specimen
Old 06-10-2007, 11:49 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by TampaRL
New armrest. Yay! And new leather on the driver's seat. Excellent work, looks new. The new leather on the driver's seat is not quite as tight as the original, but looks excellent and I am sure will wear in soon.

Also, they adjusted my door slightly. The door is well aligned but it seems Honda has difficulty getting the chrome trim strips (along the window sills) properly aligned. I have noticed many RLs where this chrome trim has an obvious break between the front & rear doors (including RLs in ads!). This break accentuates where it is slightly misaligned front door to back door...especially on darker color vehicles.

A car wash, new MDX loaner (what a hoot) , some Starbucks & doughnuts made my day. I was VERY happy to get back into my RL. One day and I was missing it so.

TampaRL
Which dealer in Tampa did you take your RL to? Is it the same dealer you purchased from? I am strongly considering the RL. I live about 75 miles north of Tampa and would like to deal with someone who is strong on service.
Thanks
Don
Old 06-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by Don H
TampaRL
Which dealer in Tampa did you take your RL to? Is it the same dealer you purchased from? I am strongly considering the RL. I live about 75 miles north of Tampa and would like to deal with someone who is strong on service.
Thanks
Don
Sent you a PM
Old 06-10-2007, 03:17 PM
2nd Gear

For some reason I can't access PM. I can't send or receive PM. Just joined a few days ago. Maybe I am doing something wrong.
Don
Old 06-10-2007, 11:41 PM
06 RL Lakeshore Silver

Hmmm I drive with my left hand so I don't use the arm rest. Strange. Have you ever accidently left the window open and it rained inside the car? Cars you got water damage on it.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:38 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Nope, rarely have the window open! It was just the leather skin separating from the foam beneath. Likleyt the adhesive. Got a new one now and they replaced the drivers seat leather. Good as new!

I usually drive with both hands on the wheel. But whe I am cruising with one hand, I tend to alternate resting my right and left arms. The center armrest shows no wear, which is why I thought it was odd the driver door armrest leather was lifting / bubbling...especially with only 8K on the car. Service Manger took good care of it, no questions asked.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Advanced

I see this is a really old thread but the left side armrest on my car is shot. Where can I get a replacement w/o going to Acura??
Old 06-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Stresst
I see this is a really old thread but the left side armrest on my car is shot. Where can I get a replacement w/o going to Acura??
You can find reupholstering shop in your area and see if they can do it. I know around here some places do it, you just have to look. Also if you call some of your local car shops, they might give you some recommendations. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 843 Posts
Solid advice, I had my console re-wrapped with real fake leather its much better than the crap Acura used.

FYI, I understand that lotions on your skin is what ruins the Acura Pleather.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
My drivers side armrest starting buckling at about 130,000 miles and just recently at 149,000 miles the passengers armrest did the same. I got mine at Delray for $59 each.

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no
The following 2 users liked this post by FredS:
jacob king (06-16-2011), Ken1997TL (06-16-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FredS
My drivers side armrest starting buckling at about 130,000 miles and just recently at 149,000 miles the passengers armrest did the same. I got mine at Delray for $59 each.

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no
thanks for the info. good to know you can buy just that piece. my 05 driver side is all bubbled up. i had my center arm rest recovered, time for the driver door...
Old 08-07-2011, 02:33 AM
Racer

My armrest on door and storage box on drivers side are both bubbling on my 2007. Have taupe interior and 69k miles. Out if warranty. It is a defect for sure bit looks awful.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
My armrest center console storage started to bubble little bit - looks bad and I think it is related to sun if you leave your car outside instead of having it garaged.

Solution - replacing it OR getting a needle and glue and injecting it on the side so it is not visible - glue it back and you re good
Old 08-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Advanced

I thought about doing that but I wonder what type of glue would be best to inject into the armrest, any suggestions ?
thanks
Old 08-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Chapter Leader (Chicago)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I have this issue right now... but mine is on my right armrest. did they cover it under warranty? or you paid?

can you pm me with this answer or here. what ever is easier...

thanks.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Racer

If u r under warranty definitely make them fix it. I would demand it. I'm out of warranty
Old 08-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Advanced

Does anyone have any tips on removing the driver door armrest so I can replace it. I don't see any screws except one in the door under the control buttons.
I never got an answer to my last post about gluing the bubbled leather so I bought a new. My last post was hijacked before I got any response to the gluing question.
Thanks in advance if anyone has any experience on replacing the armrest.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
There are screws at the top of the handle that you can only see when the door is open. There is a service manual with a section called "Interior Door Panel Removal", but I could not find it in the Garage.

The 2nd gen Legends had two screws behind the latch handle and two below the arm rest. Once these were removed, you could pull the bottom of the panel out to release 4 or so clips. Once the clips were out, you just had to lift up on the panel. I'm sure the overall design is similar, but with the addition of other systems it may not be that easy.

Quick Reply: Driver Door Armrest