RV6 Exhaust?

Old 02-15-2016, 09:22 PM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
RV6 Exhaust?

I know our RL's are luxury cars, but it wouldn't hurt to add some tone to the car. Kinda like how almost every Infiniti has a nice tone to their stock exhaust.
From what I've heard on videos the RV6 sounds amazing and gives the car that perfect tone.
Anyone have the RV6 on their RL? How do you like it?
Old 02-16-2016, 06:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
I can confirm that the ATLP exhaust from the 4th Gen TL fits the MMC RL with modification. So I would think the rv6 would fit also. IIRC, modification has to be done around the lower control arm and the rear bumper.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:10 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by MSW 6SP
I can confirm that the ATLP exhaust from the 4th Gen TL fits the MMC RL with modification. So I would think the rv6 would fit also. IIRC, modification has to be done around the lower control arm and the rear bumper.
Well I mean they do sell the RV6 for the RL, I checked their site last night :P
Old 02-16-2016, 07:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
I just checked myself and they only have a Jpipe and cat deletes. But I guess technically they are part of the exhaust so we're both right.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
JJones, please try to search before starting new threads. Your car has been on the market for 11.5 years. Just about everything you can imagine doing to it has been done.

The most effective search is to use the "search this forum" toolbar just about the threads to the right in the main forum.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...elease-848837/
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 07:56 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
As far as the full exhaust, I did inquire with Richie myself. He confirmed that nothing is a direct fit on the RL but the J-pipe and the PCD/HFPC. I offered to make my car the test car if there is enough interest in an exhaust for the RL!
Old 02-16-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
IMO, a full exhaust isn't worth it. IIRC, our cars have dual 2.5" pipes after the j-pipe to the mufflers with some resonators thrown into the mix. For the money a full exhaust would cost you could just grab a nice set of mufflers & remove some resonators if you want some more sound.

I have a set of PCDs & j-pipe waiting to go when the weather gets better. They'll keep the stockish tone for cruising speeds & really let the J35 sing when it's opened up which is perfect for me.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:28 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Guys, could you post videos with sounds of your exhaust's modification? Would be nice to have a collection of sounds in one thread so we can compare, IMHO .
Template could be something like:
1. Sound when moderate/hard accelerating
2. Cruising
3. Revving inside/outside
4. ?
Old 02-16-2016, 11:43 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by teh CL
IMO, a full exhaust isn't worth it. IIRC, our cars have dual 2.5" pipes after the j-pipe to the mufflers with some resonators thrown into the mix. For the money a full exhaust would cost you could just grab a nice set of mufflers & remove some resonators if you want some more sound.

I have a set of PCDs & j-pipe waiting to go when the weather gets better. They'll keep the stockish tone for cruising speeds & really let the J35 sing when it's opened up which is perfect for me.
It's not about being louder it's more about just have some sort of tone from the exhaust, don't want it to be loud and obnoxious, just subtle yet somewhat aggressive
Old 02-16-2016, 12:52 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
I'd start with removing a resonator and see how you like it. Probably cost 40 bucks for a shop to do it. Budget friendly FTW

Last edited by teh CL; 02-16-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by thomask
Guys, could you post videos with sounds of your exhaust's modification? Would be nice to have a collection of sounds in one thread so we can compare, IMHO .
Template could be something like:
1. Sound when moderate/hard accelerating
2. Cruising
3. Revving inside/outside
4. ?
There are a few videos here. One is in the link from the last post of the thread I provided here.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:40 PM
Pro

Anyone here deleted their resonators and muffler? I read one guy deleted 2 resonators and his muffler(?), sounded pretty good from what I heard. I don't want it to be loud just to have a decent throaty sound.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Don't delete your muffler. First, that is full on . Second, if you live in an area with emissions inspection, it won't last long. Third, don't your RL, please.

At least one member has done resonator deletes. Have I mentioned doing a search?
Old 03-01-2016, 07:45 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by oo7spy
Don't delete your muffler. First, that is full on . Second, if you live in an area with emissions inspection, it won't last long. Third, don't your RL, please.

At least one member has done resonator deletes. Have I mentioned doing a search?
Like I said I read about someone doing it and saw a video but I want more than just one opinion from experience. We have emissions inspection here but wouldn't fail since they only inspect for a catalytic converter.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JJones91
We have emissions inspection here but wouldn't fail since they only inspect for a catalytic converter.
Good luck with that.

Originally Posted by Texas Transportation Code
Sec. 548.051. VEHICLES AND EQUIPMENT SUBJECT TO INSPECTION. (a) A motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or mobile home, registered in this state, must have the following items inspected at an inspection station or by an inspector:
(1) tires;
(2) wheel assembly;
(3) safety guards or flaps, if required by Section 547.606;
(4) brake system, including power brake unit;
(5) steering system, including power steering;
(6) lighting equipment;
(7) horns and warning devices;
(8) mirrors;
(9) windshield wipers;
(10) sunscreening devices, unless the vehicle is exempt from sunscreen device restrictions under Section 547.613;
(11) front seat belts in vehicles on which seat belt anchorages were part of the manufacturer's original equipment;
(12) exhaust system;
(13) exhaust emission system;
(14) fuel tank cap, using pressurized testing equipment approved by department rule; and
(15) emissions control equipment as designated by department rule.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
That seems pretty vague and up to the interpretation ofbthe inspector as far as the exhaust part is concerned no?
Old 03-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Pro

Good luck with that.
I use to do state inspections so I know the guidelines and what they look for. All they do is hook up to the OBD.
Hell I've had several cars with cats deleted and always passed because I used spark plug non fouls on the o2 sensors to prevent a CEL. Never had an issue.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

^You either weren't in the state of Texas, or you committed fraud.

Originally Posted by projektvertx
That seems pretty vague and up to the interpretation ofbthe inspector as far as the exhaust part is concerned no?
Good call. I knew there was more I was missing.

20.15 Exhaust System. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation.

Muffler defined: Muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and/or turbine wheels for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from a diesel engine, both of which are effective in reducing noise.

The exhaust system includes the manifolds, gaskets, exhaust lines, mufflers, resonators, tailpiping, and supporting hardware.

Motor vehicles cannot be equipped with a muffler which is perforated or which was perforated and has been repaired, either by a muffler repair jacket or by patching or in any other way. In those cases where a muffler is perforated at the time of an inspection or has been perforated and has been repaired previous to the inspection, the muffler must be replaced or the vehicle rejected.

Some pickups are equipped with a camper or hard shell cover and are sometimes used for the transportation of passengers. The tailpipe should discharge the exhaust at the rear or sides. This truck modification will be considered as a passenger compartment.

The entire structure of a motor home-type vehicle is considered a passenger compartment. The cab only of all other truck-type vehicles is considered passenger or luggage compartment.

If the vehicle is equipped with lake pipes or similar devices, such pipes or devices must be securely plated and bolted or capped.

Dual exhaust systems may be modified to single exhaust systems and single exhaust systems to dual exhaust systems, provided the modification does not violate requirements concerning exhaust emission systems.

The catalytic converter will be considered as a part of the exhaust system on all vehicles prior to 1984 year model and will be inspected only visually (if present) for leakage. On 1984 and later model light truck and passenger vehicles, the catalytic converter will be checked for presence and leakage. Flexible tubing which meets the requirements listed below may be used anywhere in the exhaust system.

NOTE:

1. Inspection Procedure. The exhaust system shall be examined visually while the engine is running to determine efficiency of the system.

2. Inspect for and reject if:

a. Vehicle is not equipped with a muffler.

b. Any joint is loose or leaking, including manifolds. Does not include minor leakage at exhaust control valve (manifold damper or heat riser valve).

c. Manifold is cracked or broken causing leakage.

d. Holes, leaking seams, or patches on the muffler, resonators, exhaust pipe, tailpipe, or catalytic converter.

e. Exhaust system is not secured to the vehicle by mounting brackets designed for exhaust systems (wire is not acceptable).

f. Any brackets are loose, broken, or missing.

g. There is excessive vibration of exhaust line.

h. Any part of the exhaust system passes through the passenger compartment.

i. The tailpipe is broken, pinched, or eroded off to the extent to allow exhaust fumes to penetrate into the interior of the passenger compartment.

j. The tailpipe fails to discharge exhaust from the rear or sides or top of the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

NOTE: Holes in the exhaust system made by the manufacturer for drainage are not cause for rejection. The tailpipe must direct the exhaust fumes out from under the passenger compartment.

Inspection of exhaust systems covers the discharge of exhaust fumes and is not concerned with the noise level.
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi...nCriteria.aspx
Old 03-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Pro

^You either weren't in the state of Texas, or you committed fraud.

Good call. I knew there was more I was missing.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi...nCriteria.aspx
Or I live in Texas and did NOT commit fraud... The inspection process consisted of, inspection of exterior lights to ensure all lights operate as they are designed to, no broken lenses to where light will protrude through the crack. Inspect wipers and insure that they are in good working order and the blades are not damaged, make sure the horn is operational, inspect the parking brake and test to ensure that the parking brake will hold the vehicle in drive. Make sure the vehicle has side and rear view mirrors, inspect the tread depth of the tires no less than 2/32's. If the vehicle has tinted windows test the tint to ensure it complies with the TxDOT regulations. Test the braking system, look under the car to ensure the catalytic converters are present and that the exhaust is not damaged (this step is 90% of the time overlooked). Test the gas cap to ensure it is operating as it is designed to. Lastly inspect the license plate bulbs, only 1 needs to illuminate to pass.
Once you've done the exterior inspection, you will plug in to the OBD and at this point the computer will tell you to hold the RPMs at a specific range for about a 45 seconds. Once this is done the computer will tell you if the vehicle has passed or failed the emissions test. If it has passed you print the paperwork and send the customer on their way...
Simple.

Last edited by JJones91; 03-01-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:21 AM
Pro

Within the time I did inspections I had been audited twice. Auditors will comes in with civilian vehicles dressed like a normal civilian. You will never know they are an auditor. Generally they will bring in a car that has something wrong with it. Could be something anyone would catch. Could be something only a well trained inspector will catch. If it's not caught the inspector would be given a hefty fine for illegally passing a vehicle that was not suppose to pass..
I never was fined therefore I did my job properly. Unfortunately for those who do get fined the job does not pay near enough to pay for those fines, and they are not cheap by any means.

Only reason why I stopped working as an inspector was because I was doing that while also doing servicing, repairs, and alignments all for a mere $9.50 an hour.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:29 AM
Pro

Now I mentioned that I had cars that had no catalytic converters and would pass. Never did I inspect my own vehicles. I always sent them to someone else. Yes I had spark plug non foulers welded into the exhaust with the o2 sensors screwed into them so it would fool the system into thinking the cats were there and operating properly.
Did they ever fail? No.
Was it illegal? Yup.
Did I care? Nope.
It's my car and I'll modify it the way I want it to be modified.
Now am I going to do that with my Acura? Hell no. Only car's I removed cats from were my Mustang GT's and my 2010 VW GTI. Only reason I did it with the GTI was because there was too much back pressure after I had the car tuned, so the cat went bye bye to free up the exhaust flow. It was that or go with a full 3" exhaust which I wasn't about to do because that was going to set me back a pretty penny.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator

The really neat thing about laws is that they are all written down. Section 548.6035 is your fraudulent part. The rest is just penalties.

Originally Posted by Texas Transportation Code
Sec. 548.3065. ADMINISTRATIVE PENALTY. (a) In lieu of criminal proceedings for a violation of Section 548.306, the department may impose an administrative penalty against a person who knowingly violates this chapter or a rule adopted by the commission under this chapter.

Sec. 548.405. DENIAL, REVOCATION, OR SUSPENSION OF CERTIFICATE. (a) The department may deny a person's application for a certificate, revoke or suspend the certificate of a person, inspection station, or inspector, place on probation a person who holds a suspended certificate, or reprimand a person who holds a certificate if:
(1) the station or inspector conducts an inspection, fails to conduct an inspection, or issues a certificate:
(A) in violation of this chapter or a rule adopted under this chapter; or
(B) without complying with the requirements of this chapter or a rule adopted under this chapter;

Sec. 548.601. OFFENSE GENERALLY. (a) A person, including an inspector or an inspection station, commits an offense if the person:
(1) submits information to the department's inspection database or issues a vehicle inspection report with knowledge that the submission or issuance is in violation of this chapter or rules adopted under this chapter;
[...]
(6) knowingly submits information to the department's inspection database or issues a vehicle inspection report:
(A) for a vehicle without conducting an inspection of each item required to be inspected; or
(B) for a vehicle that is missing an item required to be inspected or that has an item required to be inspected that is not in compliance with state law or department rules;

Sec. 548.6035. FRAUDULENT EMISSIONS INSPECTION OF MOTOR VEHICLE. (a) A person commits an offense if, in connection with a required emissions inspection of a motor vehicle, the person knowingly:
(1) submits information to the department's inspection database stating that a vehicle has passed the applicable inspections or issues a passing vehicle inspection report, if:
(A) the vehicle does not meet the emissions requirements established by the department; or
(B) the person has not inspected the vehicle;
(2) manipulates an emissions test result;

Sec. 548.605. OPERATING A VEHICLE WITHOUT COMPLYING WITH INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS AS CERTIFIED; OFFENSE; DISMISSAL OF CHARGE. (a) In this section, "working day" means any day other than a Saturday, a Sunday, or a holiday on which county offices are closed.
(b) A person commits an offense if:
(1) the person operates in this state a vehicle for which a certification was provided under Section 548.256(b); and
(2) the vehicle is not in compliance with the applicable inspection requirements under this chapter, Chapter 382, Health and Safety Code, or the department's administrative rules regarding inspection requirements.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JJones91
Was it illegal? Yup.
Glad to see we could come to an agreement.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
If we going to bring up inspections, technically anything modified to the vehicle can be failed by the inspector...
The following users liked this post:
JJones91 (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 07:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MrKev
If we going to bring up inspections, technically anything modified to the vehicle can be failed by the inspector...
Exactly what went through my mind when all this was brought up lol
Old 03-01-2016, 07:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MrKev
Not in Texas. Where the OP is...