BS Serenity or Conti ExtremeContact DWS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
I'll tell you this, they really do perform in rain/snow and there is no doubting that.
But they are to damn soft for this heavy car.

I need a little stiffer sidewall and a tougher tread compound for my driving.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
I'll tell you this, they really do perform in rain/snow and there is no doubting that.
But they are to damn soft for this heavy car.

I need a little stiffer sidewall and a tougher tread compound for my driving.

I am looking into buying the A spec wheels with H&R so this softer sidewall might be a perfect compromise. From what I read the H&R/Aspec combo can have a somewhat harsh ride

Everybody's opinion is different so I might just have to try it out for myself...

I just want a quiet tire that can perform. The Pilot A/S on my car now are way too loud but has no highway vibration that the DWS develop. Than again I just bought this car so I have NO IDEA how long they have been on there.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Suzuka Master

I have Aspecs too, DWS certainly performs and even at 70+% wear its still really quiet.

Just rotate them regularly.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I have about 42K miles on my Versados and it's almost time to replace them. I am pretty sure I will be going with Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus. Not sure if this is a new tire, but I think it is. Bridgestone is running a $70 rebate on a set of four and TireRack is listing them for $161 per tire.

The Versados are great touring tires and performs well overall. Since it's a touring tire, it's great on the highway, however, it's not very good under spirited driving conditions. For me, getting 42K miles out of a set of tires is a great feat. In my 02 TL-S I was getting about 32K miles on a set of tires. Would I get the Versados again? Maybe. I would like to try a different set of tires that corners better, and I think the Turanza Serenity Plus will be.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Good to hear, I also had great luck with my Versados
Old 04-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by thephantom
I have about 42K miles on my Versados and it's almost time to replace them. I am pretty sure I will be going with Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus. Not sure if this is a new tire, but I think it is. Bridgestone is running a $70 rebate on a set of four and TireRack is listing them for $161 per tire.

The Versados are great touring tires and performs well overall. Since it's a touring tire, it's great on the highway, however, it's not very good under spirited driving conditions. For me, getting 42K miles out of a set of tires is a great feat. In my 02 TL-S I was getting about 32K miles on a set of tires. Would I get the Versados again? Maybe. I would like to try a different set of tires that corners better, and I think the Turanza Serenity Plus will be.
The Serenity Plus is indeed a new tire. Very quiet and comfortable with good dry handling.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Cruisin'

How are the BS's in the rain.

I know DWS is amazing in the rain but just curious to hear about the BS in the rain...
Old 04-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by HybridCB7
How are the BS's in the rain.

I know DWS is amazing in the rain but just curious to hear about the BS in the rain...

The original Serenity was pretty good, but the Serenity Plus is extremely good in the wet.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Drifting

Sonny, is there any difference between a 2011 Serenity Plus tire and one from 2013?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
thephantom: I think they just released the new Serenity (2013)

Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S worked very well for me on my 18" Aspec rims. Now bare in mind, I drove like mad so my tires rarely lasted beyond 25k. Luckily, Pirelli has a warranty and they paid partially for replacements. I've used Pilot Sport A/S in other cars and they do have a loud ring when they hit road imperfections...progressively get louder from 15k onward.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by thephantom
Sonny, is there any difference between a 2011 Serenity Plus tire and one from 2013?

The previous version was just the Serenity...which was a very good tire but I felt needed better wet traction. The new version is significantly better in the wet than the old version.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
I know DWS is amazing in the rain...
I'm not too sure about this. I can't compare to other tires, and I know that any tire can break traction under a 2 ton tank in a corner. However, it felt a little too easy to power slide in wet conditions on DWS. I would say they have amazing dry handling. I hear their snow traction is wonderful. However, I would only give them a "good" wet traction review. If I would have had the chance to replace them, I would have searched for a better wet traction tire.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
You will basically find lots of people here happy with DWS and Serenity.

If you live somewhere that gets snow ... so little that it isn't enough for dedicated snow tires, but enough where you were thinking how nice it would be if it was worth it to have snow tires ... people seem to rave about the DWS in occasional showy conditions.

Some forums say the serenity balances easier (google DWS roadforce)

New BS are low rolling resistance. I ended up buying some after weighing what I wanted and said screw it I don't care if they aren't sport tires. Honestly they work fine and are far from being in the class people associate the first gen LRR tires on the likes of prius/insight that were like driving on bolling balls.

If you're a speed cornering nut who wants your RL to be a NSX then the michelin A/S

p.s - my first serenity on car at about 40k and changed out at 99k with tread left
Old 04-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Drifting

Thanks for all the input, guys!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by oo7spy
I'm not too sure about this. I can't compare to other tires, and I know that any tire can break traction under a 2 ton tank in a corner. However, it felt a little too easy to power slide in wet conditions on DWS. I would say they have amazing dry handling. I hear their snow traction is wonderful. However, I would only give them a "good" wet traction review. If I would have had the chance to replace them, I would have searched for a better wet traction tire.

Good to know, I was just saying that based off all the reviews I was I reading on this forum lol.

Seems like it is going to be between the BS and Michelin A/S for me. Kind weighing more towards the BS as I know what kind of car this is, a Luxury cruiser, and am not trying to make it seem like something it is not lol
Old 04-24-2013, 02:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Good to know, I was just saying that based off all the reviews I was I reading on this forum lol.

Seems like it is going to be between the BS and Michelin A/S for me. Kind weighing more towards the BS as I know what kind of car this is, a Luxury cruiser, and am not trying to make it seem like something it is not lol
How do you drive your RL?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Cruisin'

^^^^

I do some spirited driving but most of the time I just try to cruise in the car.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
old serenity vs new serenity

Sonny,
Are the new serenity's still as quiet as the old ones with the new ones being LRR? Driving an 06 base rl with oem rims size 17. Looking for a quiet but capable ride.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Intermediate

Just purchased new Serenity+ for OEM 17's for my 06 RL. Went with Costco. With installation it was about $60 more (with all taxes and installation fees included), but I know if I have issues, Costco customer service is top notch. The extra $60 is worth the piece of mind than having to deal with a different installer (probably could have bought from Tire Rack and sent them to Costco for installation, but I'm not a smart man).

I'll write back with my observations and differences. I have a feeling I'll be amazed since I'm running UHP General's that came with the car when I bought it a year ago, and they were cupping (read very loud ride through the tires). So the observations should be taken with that in mind.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by alaxgoaly8
Sonny,
Are the new serenity's still as quiet as the old ones with the new ones being LRR? Driving an 06 base rl with oem rims size 17. Looking for a quiet but capable ride.

They are just as quiet and much better in the wet. I like the Serenity Plus quite a bit more than it's predecessor. An excellent touring tire!
Old 06-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I just pulled the trigger today on the Serenity Plus at Costco, as they were the only Bridgestone retailer around here that actually gave me a date when they would have them in, everyone else said they really couldn't say for sure as there was no stock showing in Canada. And Costco's price was within $15 of the cheapest quote I had anywhere else. Will be installed the last week of June, I'll post my impressions then.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Intermediate

Just purchased new Serenity+ for OEM 17's for my 06 RL. Went with Costco. With installation it was about $60 more (with all taxes and installation fees included), but I know if I have issues, Costco customer service is top notch. The extra $60 is worth the piece of mind than having to deal with a different installer (probably could have bought from Tire Rack and sent them to Costco for installation, but I'm not a smart man).

I'll write back with my observations and differences. I have a feeling I'll be amazed since I'm running UHP General's that came with the car when I bought it a year ago, and they were cupping (read very loud ride through the tires). So the observations should be taken with that in mind.
Initial Review:
The BS Serenity+ tires are really nice and quiet. I've only driven about 20 miles on them though, but in comparison to my old General Exclaim UHP tires, it's like driving a different car. Very smooth over bumps and muted thumps. The steering wheel is a bit lighter, but again, that's due to the difference in tire.

As an example of how quiet the interior is now... I used to listen to sports talk radio at about volume level 11 and now I can drop it down to 6.

I'll post more of a review after a couple hundred miles on them. As a side note, Costco filled the tires with Nitrogen at about 36psi per tire.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Intermediate

Initial Review:
The BS Serenity+ tires are really nice and quiet. I've only driven about 20 miles on them though, but in comparison to my old General Exclaim UHP tires, it's like driving a different car. Very smooth over bumps and muted thumps. The steering wheel is a bit lighter, but again, that's due to the difference in tire.

As an example of how quiet the interior is now... I used to listen to sports talk radio at about volume level 11 and now I can drop it down to 6.

I'll post more of a review after a couple hundred miles on them. As a side note, Costco filled the tires with Nitrogen at about 36psi per tire.
So I've got about 150 miles on them. Did my commuting on the highway and through the streets of DC. The ride is much less jarring and loud. The handling is not as good, as was to be expected going from a UHP to a GT tire.

For my type of driving, I'm very pleased. It really changed the characteristics of the vehicle. While it's not as sporty as it was, it's still sporty enough for me, while offering superior ride quality and comfort. I was also able to drive it in the rain, and the car still felt planted on the road.

Thanks to TampaRL and others for their reviews a while back of these tires. Forums like these really help new owners like myself (well, within a year). Not only identifying great purchases for the car but also for identifying odd things like common rattles or mechanical/electrical issues.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Racer

About 20 miles on the SerenityPlus now. Very quiet and comfortable, especially so around town. Even the sound transferred from hitting bumps. etc is noticeably less than it was on my old Michelins. Steering effort is about the same, maybe just a tiny bit "softer" feeling in corners with a bit of sidewall flex compared to before.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 PM
Racer

I've put close to a thousand miles on now. Excellent in the wet, especially for hydroplaning resistance (we have a lot or worn "ruts" in roads from heavy truck traffic which turns into twin parallel "rivers" in the driving lanes when it rains).

They do feel a little bit "softer" than the OEM Michelins did but not really too noticeable.

Only drawback so far is they tend to flat spot pretty easily - if the car sits overnight on pavement, they are flatspotted a bit in the morning which is annoying for the first few miles of driving.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by BluNosr2
I've put close to a thousand miles on now. Excellent in the wet, especially for hydroplaning resistance (we have a lot or worn "ruts" in roads from heavy truck traffic which turns into twin parallel "rivers" in the driving lanes when it rains).

They do feel a little bit "softer" than the OEM Michelins did but not really too noticeable.

Only drawback so far is they tend to flat spot pretty easily - if the car sits overnight on pavement, they are flatspotted a bit in the morning which is annoying for the first few miles of driving.
Never heard of these tires doing this, can anybody else chime in?

So all it takes is the car to sit overnight for them to flatspot?? That sounds pretty bad...
Old 07-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Racer

It's was quite warm here the past two weeks (high 80's low 90's). If the car sits on asphalt overnight, I get a slight "out of balance" kind of vibration at highway speeds the next morning for the first few miles of driving, typically vanishes after a few minutes.

This week has been a lot cooler (high 60s) and I haven't noticed it.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:01 PM
Intermediate

I've got 2000 miles on the tires now. Still no complaints. It's a smooth operator. I haven't experienced the flat-spotting blue has and we were in the mid 90's for a week. I've also let the car sit for a couple of days at a time with no issues.

Still highly recommend these tires.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Cruisin'

I've got 2000 miles on the tires now. Still no complaints. It's a smooth operator. I haven't experienced the flat-spotting blue has and we were in the mid 90's for a week. I've also let the car sit for a couple of days at a time with no issues.

Still highly recommend these tires.
This sounds much more reassuring. When ever the funds come I will definitely invest in a set of these tires. Have the Pilot Sport A/S and they are way to loud for my liking. I understand that the tire is an UHP tire but this car is so heavy it almost defeats the purpose of trying to make the car handle better in the first place. Much rather have a tire that would complement the Luxury ride it was intended to have from the factory.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Racer

I'm wondering if my flatspotting is from the nitrogen Costco used or something. It consistently does it if the temp is in the 80's or higher and the car is parked 8hrs (overnight) on asphalt.

Another plus - there is a noticeable improvement in MPG with highway driving. I'd never get a range more than 600km to a tank (usually 560-580), and now it's 720-730
Old 08-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BluNosr2
I'm wondering if my flatspotting is from the nitrogen Costco used or something. It consistently does it if the temp is in the 80's or higher and the car is parked 8hrs (overnight) on asphalt.

Another plus - there is a noticeable improvement in MPG with highway driving. I'd never get a range more than 600km to a tank (usually 560-580), and now it's 720-730
I am running the Serenity Plus on my RL right now and I haven't had any issues with flatspotting. The temp here has been consistently over 100F and lately it has been around 105-110F.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Racer

Interestingly, concrete doesn't do it, only asphalt. A relative has a concrete driveway and the car doesn't flatspot there, but does in my asphalt driveway and the asphalt parking lot at the dealership but only whenever the temps go above 80F.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

What PSI are you running? Also, did you mean the range indicator is going above 600, or you are actually getting 600+ km to a tank?
Old 08-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Racer

32 psi. The range indicator would never show more than maybe 600km during highway cruising, now it's 720-730. I haven't gone to the low fuel light yet but since the Bridgestones went on, it's taking less to fill when I typically gas up below 1/4 tank with about 580km showing on the trip meter. I'd estimate it's giving me about 30km extra per tank on the highway.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd like to throw my $.02 into this ring about my DWS. I effing hate them for about 360 days of the year, the other 5 make me feel pretty good when driving in the snow. However I just had them rotated and HOLY HELL the noise coming from the previously-mounted rear tires are farking loud.

I bought them from DTD in April of last year, and they are certainly lasting, but jesus I am having a hard time not plunking some credit down on a new set of tires just to get over the noise they make. ARRGGH!

Anyway, I'm planning on some Bridgestone S+ sometime next year probably. Thanks for everyone's input on them!
Old 08-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by brinox
I'd like to throw my $.02 into this ring about my DWS. I effing hate them for about 360 days of the year, the other 5 make me feel pretty good when driving in the snow. However I just had them rotated and HOLY HELL the noise coming from the previously-mounted rear tires are farking loud.

I bought them from DTD in April of last year, and they are certainly lasting, but jesus I am having a hard time not plunking some credit down on a new set of tires just to get over the noise they make. ARRGGH!

Anyway, I'm planning on some Bridgestone S+ sometime next year probably. Thanks for everyone's input on them!

If you want quiet, the Serenity Plus will give you quiet. Excellent touring style tire!
Old 08-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Brinox how much PSI are you running?

I hear there will be a version 2 DWS coming in the future.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by sonny@tirerack
If you want quiet, the Serenity Plus will give you quiet. Excellent touring style tire!
Mine have gotten whiney at hwy speeds. First gen were fine.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-tires-wheels-suspension-92/noise-new-bridgestone-turanza-serenity-lrr-894522/
Old 08-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator

My DWS never had an issue with noise, but given the track record, I say they belong on a sports car and not a luxury car. Whether it's noise or unbalanced ride, only a sports car can mask the problems.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by phishfood
Mine have gotten whiney at hwy speeds. First gen were fine.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894522

Hmm, that is very unusual. Any cupping?

Quick Reply: BS Serenity or Conti ExtremeContact DWS?