what do you think of this price for an 06 RL A-spec?

Old 04-16-2013, 03:08 PM
pumpkin escobar

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question what do you think of this price for an 06 RL A-spec?

I'm in the market for an 06 RL A-spec. here are the details:

asking $15,800. has about 91k miles. The owners says it has the 'technology pkg', but he's not sure if it had the PAX system. it currently has regular tires, so if it did have pax, its now de-paxed.

some issues:
- lots of curb rash on wheels and chrome is flaking off
- rear windows did not roll up or down on initial control from drivers side control. after i rolled it down using the rear window controls, the driver side controls worked on the rear windows. is this a common issue? maybe window actuator?
- does the technology pkg for the 06 come w/ cmbs? how can i tell if it has cmbs and/or acc?
- where would the spare tire be located? i didnt see one, but thats because he had a bunch of stuff in his trunk.
- engine looks clean, dealer serviced.
- alignment was a little off, pulling to the right.

What would you guys pay for this vehicle? thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
I'll be honest man. That seems like a high price. I got my 05 for about a $1000 less and it only had 67000 miles and no issues at all. As far as the spare is concerned. If the car came with pax wheels. I would guess that it doesn't have a spare but I could be wrong. I think an easy way to tell if the car has CMBS is to look at the "A" symbol on the grill. If there is a shield around it then you're good to go. It seems like between the curb rash, alignment and window problem you're going to have to put a decent amount of money into it right away.
The following users liked this post:
minla007 (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
'06 tech had PAX/CMBS (only two trims that year). There will be a plastic "shield" in front of the Acura emblem on the grill, and two buttons on the bottom right leg of the steering wheel. It's either all or nothing with those indicators.

The spare tire is under the false floor in the trunk. There is a tab closest to the bumper.

The rear windows just needed to be reset. You did that by using the rear buttons. This happens after prolonged periods without power.

The alignment and curb rash may be related. Likely a non-issue, but may be worth having a mechanic inspect.

What does KBB say about the value? No one ever has a perfect condition car, and a private seller will be lucky to get the poor condition value.
minla007 (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 03:45 PM
pumpkin escobar

thanks for the responses. it does not have the plastic shield around the front emblem on the grill and i don't recall the buttons on the right leg of the steering wheel. So from what you guys are saying, this car does NOT have the Tech pkg? it does have bluetooth & navi - was that not part of the 06 tech pkg or is the navi/bluetooth standard on 06?

Again, this is an A-spec version, with the kit & rims. The owner says a-spec has bigger brakes, but i do not believe that is true. According to my research, a-spec is just the body kit + stiffer suspension, correct?

kbb for 'very good' condition is $15.6k. i'm going to try to talk him down. what do you guys think is fair? $14k?
Old 04-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 843 Posts
Class is in session.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator

'07 was the first year of non-standard navi trim. Aspec only applies to the lip kit, 0.75" lower/stiffer suspension, and 18" wheels. The brakes are the exact same. $14k seems like a great finishing point. Don't start there, though, if that's where you want to finish. Surprisingly, AutoTrader doesn't have a 2006 RL with less than 75k miles for less than $16.9k. The value for these cars is ridiculously hard to determine. There are so few, it is a rare car. So few people want them, the demand is low. The supply is low, the demand is low, my 1st grade economics background doesn't know what to think.

What is it worth to you? That's the main question.

EDIT: Don't know why I used 75k. AutoTrader for 90k mile '06 RLs varies from $14k to $17k. $14k private party sounds like a good deal. His price is too much considering a timing belt is around the corner.

Last edited by oo7spy; 04-16-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by oo7spy
What is it worth to you? That's the main question.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 AM
pumpkin escobar

cool...thanks for the advice! so basically this specific RL A-spec that I am looking at does NOT have the Tech pkg because it does not have CMBS nor PAX. the only thing i really like about it is the a-spec kit.

how much would it cost to get an a-spec kit and install it?

also, how much would the timing belt service cost?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Suzuka Master

the search is strong in this one...
Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
How are the tires? New tires = $750 of value.

Have all recalls been done?

Has he had the drive shaft wine and got it fixed? If so, that's like a $1800 service. If its been fixed (and he has receipts to prove it) I'd consider that say a $1000 value over an RL that it hasn't been done.

It's due for timing belt and the associated part. 7 years. That's say a $850 cost.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Racer

Also how are brakes?

I would say if tires questionable, brakes old, no driveshaft work, etc.he is $1500-$2500 to high.

New tires, recent brakes with Acura parts (not "I had new pads slapped on at the brakie place") or more than say 40% life on originals, new driveshaft, timing belt done, copies of all receipts for reg maintenance, nice body ... yeah I'd pay 15k versus 13k for a vehicle of unknown history.

Last edited by phishfood; 04-17-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:30 AM
pumpkin escobar

Originally Posted by phishfood
How are the tires? New tires = $750 of value.

Have all recalls been done?

Has he had the drive shaft wine and got it fixed? If so, that's like a $1800 service. If its been fixed (and he has receipts to prove it) I'd consider that say a $1000 value over an RL that it hasn't been done.

It's due for timing belt and the associated part. 7 years. That's say a $850 cost.
tires have about 30k miles on them...so i'd say they would prob need to be replaced soon...also forgot to mention his a-spec 18" chrome rims are trashed...lots of curb rash and the chrome is flaking off...i wonder how much to re-dip them? i'd prob get different rims anyways

the seller seems to have amnesia when i ask him about the service he has done...he just says, "i don't remember, but i did it all at the dealer"...i did look through some of his service records, but it was just basic fluid exchange type stuff...if he agrees to my offer, im gonna take it to the dealership & have it inspected before we complete the sale to make sure nothing else is wrong w/ the RL

so apparently the timing belt service will be anywhere from $800-1500 from the research i did...prob cheaper at a honda stealership

another weird thing is i noticed that when i turned on the headlights, it seemed like the passenger side didn't come on...but then he started flickering the lights on & off (because i was standing outside, he was in the drivers seat) and the passenger side headlight illuminated after he did the flickering on/off...so do you think the headlight needs to be replaced or just a bulb issue?

not sure about the drive shaft whine...i didnt hear anything weird when i test drove it...hmmmm...so many decisions
Old 04-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Racer

My dealer quoted $1450 for oil, timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, water pump, spark plugs.

Without plugs I'd guess $1200

Independent mechanic quoted same price using Acura parts, 300 less using aftermarket.

Problem is even if it doesn't have wine/whir now ... chances of it happening? It is common.

Search this subforum for driveshaft whine, whir, etc.

If you are mechanical you can do bulbs ... bulb change at dealer like $300 a side.

Last edited by phishfood; 04-17-2013 at 09:46 AM.
minla007 (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
I'm saying you have to pass on this car but it is your choice. The passenger side headlight seems like it's dying. Probably better off replacing both and those can be expensive depending on what you get. phishfood is giving you a ton a valuable advice so listen up. Haha.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:15 AM
pumpkin escobar

i appreciate all the advice/comments...if i can get it for the right price & everything checks out...i might pull the trigger....i love this forum
Old 04-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Flagship Aspec

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
I just paid $10k for an 06 aspec with 100k on it. Maintained at a 1 dealer with all records of recalls and service. Got them to do belt, plugs and valves included in the price. Chrome was peeling of the wheels on mine too thank god, I used it as a negotiating point
Old 04-17-2013, 10:19 AM
pumpkin escobar

Originally Posted by tc5280
I just paid $10k for an 06 aspec with 100k on it. Maintained at a 1 dealer with all records of recalls and service. Got them to do belt, plugs and valves included in the price. Chrome was peeling of the wheels on mine too thank god, I used it as a negotiating point
wow, that is an awesome deal. where are you located? did u buy from dealer or private party?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Senior Moderator

The drive shaft whine is not a given. It is common here, but that doesn't account for 10% of RLs. The headlight could be the bulbs, ignitor, or ballast. The headlight itself doesn't need to be replaced. If you are mechanically inclined, you can figure it out yourself for a reasonable price. If you take it to the dealer, they will hit you with all three (may find more) parts to replace since they don't debug; they just change out everything it could be.

What part of the Aspec kit matters to you? The lip kit is ~$420 x3 pieces, front, sides, and rear. The suspension will run you ~$620. The wheels will vary significantly. All of that is just parts, no labor. If he has the "Aspec" wood wheel, that's $420. The wood knob is a rare gem today. None of these are worth buying a car that isn't up to par on mechanical functionality though.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by minla007
where are you located?
threeohthree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_codes_303_and_720<--- Click
Old 04-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Just an FYI, the wheels are not chrome plated to begin with. Acura/Honda "chrome look" wheels are not actually chrome. They use a paint layering method that produces a reflective near-chrome finish. It is cheaper than chrome but does not tend to hold up as well over time.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Flagship Aspec

wow, that is an awesome deal. where are you located? did u buy from dealer or private party?
Dealer. They wanted $14 originally but it needed the wheel repair, front motor mount and front end touches. Not going to lie this is a bit of rock chipping going on that will require the whole front end to be re sprayed. I'm in the industry so it won't cost me much to fix. I used it all as negotiating points.

The TLS I have before they took for $5k and I parted it out before had for another $4k. Ended up working out really well. Still have a few sets of wheels though......

threeohthree.

(303)<--- Click

Or mile HIGH
Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Flagship Aspec

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
Just an FYI, the wheels are not chrome plated to begin with. Acura/Honda "chrome look" wheels are not actually chrome. They use a paint layering method that produces a reflective near-chrome finish. It is cheaper than chrome but does not tend to hold up as well over time.
I ended up just sanding this shit off them and spraying them btw. Twas a nice $800 price cut for sure.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:06 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
The Aspec wheels are PVD chrome, and NOT traditional chrome platting as some, typically older, chrome wheels are.

The short story is that traditional chrome wheels use a copper layer, followed by a nickel layer and then they chrome plate the wheels. That adds A LOT of weight to the wheels. Aspec wheels are essentially powdercoated chrome (Physical Vapor Deposition, or PVD), which is a lot more durable. If you've ever owned standard chrome wheels, you know EXACTLY how shitty those are and how fast they pit/corrode.

On a side note, if your wheels are traditional chrome, be prepared for the ride of your life when you need to refinish them. I've been told those wheels need to be shipped out to California to have the finish stripped and re-done. I've only been told this, so who knows?

Any good/halfway decent powdercoater should redo your aspec's in the vicinity if 75$-100$ a wheel, depending on what you choose to do. Those are the prices I got when I looked around in the metro Detroit area.

Long side note, but I hope it helps! Carry on...
Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 PM
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
If it hasn't had the drive shaft replaced I would forget about it. If you live in a climate that has cold winters it is bound to happen. If you live in like California or Florida or places with those types of climates you probably won't have to worry about it.

The thing is $1600 just for the driveshaft. You will be pissed if you buy the car at the price he is asking and find out you have to replace it.
minla007 (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 09:04 AM
pumpkin escobar

ok i just got the service history report from the dealer for this car....i see that around 80k miles there is an entry that states "c/s there is a whine when accelerating". i assume that is the infamous driveshaft issue that these RL's have....ouch.

thing is, he showed me that he has an AcuraCare warranty up until 100k miles or Aug 2013, but the name on the warranty is the previous owners name. do you think the stealership will still honor this warranty? it should transfer with the car, regardless of owner right? hmmmm
Old 04-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Matt W
If it hasn't had the drive shaft replaced I would forget about it. If you live in a climate that has cold winters it is bound to happen.
Please stop spreading false information.
do you think the stealership will still honor this warranty? it should transfer with the car, regardless of owner right? hmmmm
They would know best. Have it in writing before you pull the trigger.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
Please stop spreading false information.
Hows is that false information. The propeller shaft issue is temperature related. If you live somewhere that the climate is around 45 degrees Fahrenheit or more you will never hear this sound, but could quite possibly have the whine issue anyway (you just will never know it). This issue is well documented on the forums and the RL owners here likely account for less than 0.1% of all person that own an RL. There is a technical service bulletin also regarding this issue from Honda themselves.

Knowing this information I would never buy a high mileage (100K+) 05-06 RL without verifying that the drive shaft has been replaced. Quite honestly I would never buy another one again because the repair costs for new parts are so ridiculous, but that is what I get for buying an uncommon car. At least used parts are cheap because its a flooded market and most of the people that would buy the RL new aren't the type of people to invest time searching for used parts on the internet, probably take the dealers word for face value, and probably don't care much of the cost (i.e. old people).
Old 04-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Old 04-19-2013, 11:09 PM
Senior Moderator

It is not bound to happen. If it was, there would be a recall. You stated it yourself. Many people here have had it. They account for 0.1%. So, I'll reiterate. It is not bound to happen. Can it happen? Yes. Will it happen? Who knows. The majority of RLs don't experience it.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 AM
pumpkin escobar

so is this drive shaft issue catastrophic or just an annoying noise? i've looked thru a bunch of threads on it but its a lot of info to sift thru.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Just annoying. Matt is correct that cold weather seems to make it more noticeable. If you listen to music, you may never notice it. Still, enough members have been annoyed enough to drop some $$$ to fix it. If you think it's there, I would find a different RL. To be honest, this one sounds like it has more cons than pros. The Aspec kit isn't worth the issues.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Suzuka Master

We havent had one documented failure out of all of us.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You should also check the power steering pump...look at the top big pulley..if it has oil and dust deposits on it..it's gone.I have 07 w/87k miles and have to reseal mine due to leak.$240 with labor.Front engine mount is on it's way out as well.Culprit was higher than normal vibrations at engine start,vibrating pedals and steering wheel.GL with your decision.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:17 AM
pumpkin escobar

thanks for the advice/feedback guys! much appreciated. i pulled the trigger on it and bought it. 2006 RL - base (no acc/cmbs/pax) - white on black w/ A-spec. woo hoo!

got service/upgrades i need/want to do:
- timing belt (what parts do i need?)
- front lower chrome grill replacement
- some new wheels
- motor mounts (front/side)
- power steering flush
Old 04-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
pics or it didn't happen...lol.Congrats!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Price?
Old 04-25-2013, 08:46 PM
pumpkin escobar

$14k in VA
Attached Thumbnails what do you think of this price for an 06 RL A-spec?-side1.jpg   what do you think of this price for an 06 RL A-spec?-front1.jpg  
Old 04-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Good job.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:18 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tc5280
Wow, sounds like a great deal - Want to sell it? I'm in Denver too!

Was this the silver one that was at Courtesy Acura?