BS Serenity or Conti ExtremeContact DWS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 01:17 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another satisfied BS Serenity customer-not too many miles yet, but so far they handle the Southern California surface streets and freeways near me with aplomb-much quieter than the stock original equipment Michelins, nice and sticky during "spirited" driving, and a very comfortable ride during calmer rides. I plan to try them out on the I-405 North Howard Hughes Drive exit ramp, my favorite SoCal "Hot Wheels" track.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I hate to say so, I had similar problems with the non DWS predecessor tire ContiExtremeContact, on my 2G Legend which I have detailed in previous posts.

6 tires all had the same problem after aging awhile. Could never get keep it balanced right, though the dealer did the best job. The wandering seemed to be much more than tramlining. By 20K miles, I could not dump them fast enough, even though they had a decent amount of tread left...plus I felt that my old Dunlop SP5000 AS had a much crisper response and feel to them.

I firmly believe that this is a case of you get what you pay for, and could never figure out why the tire was so highly rated, always #1 or 2 on the Tire Rack surveys, except that the price point was fantastic, and the new tire syndrome always prevails....new tires always feel better in every way, except perhaps dry performance, than old worn tires. The Conti's were fantastic in heavy downpours with standing water. This is where they excelled, rock stable.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Although I do my research (and often suffer form analysis paralysis ), online ratings, magazine reviews etc. never can depict what applies to my personal needs and tastes. Ultimately you have to choose what will satisfy you and not others.

Often people promote ratings to affirm their choices. "If I bought it it must be the best ever!" Just look at automobile enthusiasts (which tire ratings are mostly a subset of). When they but that new car, it is not just the car that suits them, it is a purchase that empowers them for world domination. And some of those same reviewers, if you have ability to watch and follow them in online forums, later they turn sour grapes when the newness wears off, or a new products is the hottest buzz. We all are guilty of it to some degree...it is just human nature.

Reviews are useful when taken into context and balanced to your personal needs. Look at the age of the reviewer, look at the tone of the re viewer's comments, look for balance of pro and con, look for personal opinion, look for an understanding of what the product is supposed to represent. Most importantly, understand that any review (even the so called 'experts' and journalists) are not subjective....especially about your needs and expectations.

Very few will make a purchase and admit it was the wrong decision. Typically when you see reviews to that nature, it is focused more on product defect and poor customer experience. But rarely will you see "It is a great XXX, but just not what I really wanted...".

Old 08-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
I firmly believe that this is a case of you get what you pay for, and could never figure out why the tire was so highly rated, always #1 or 2 on the Tire Rack surveys, except that the price point was fantastic, and the new tire syndrome always prevails....new tires always feel better in every way, except perhaps dry performance, than old worn tires.
both very true points.

tire reviews are so hard to assess because 99% of the time, the person who is reviewing them is only comparing them to the old worn out tires they just replaced...so whenever the reviewing says they were GREAT you have to take it with a grain of salt. very few reviewers were at a track, with multiple sets of tires doing hot laps and making fine comparisons.... I've had a lot of sporty cars with a variety of different tires, and it's still hard for me to compare them, as I would go usually a year before I needed to swap them out... i have general impressions as to which ones were noisier, stickier, etc..but it's still hard to separate what was due to the tire and what was due to them being "new".

the one set of tires I put on that I was really impressed with were PS2s. I had an S60R that I put about 3-4 sets fo tires on. it came wiht Pzero Rossos which were fine. I repalced them with a set of Toyo Proxes T1-S tires... can't say I was blown away with them... as those aged they got very noisy and rough...

when i Put on PS2s the car rode like a luxury car..but stuck like glue in the turns. I remmmeber thinking they were the best of both worlds..comfortable for commuting, but VERY capable in turns...

the PS2s were also one of the most expensive performance tires on the market... which brings me to your second point Chas..

you get what you pay for.

that old adage is often true...
Old 08-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So, i went to re-balance my Conti DWS tires yesterday. The balance was slightly off on two of the tires. Each required 0.25oz extra weight.
The mechanic told me that such small variation in balance should NOT give me any steering wheel vibration.

Well, this morning, my car was a lot smoother on the freeway. Almost no vibration in the steering wheel at any speed. (some road surfaces do create a small steering vibration, but on most it is butter smooth) I guess the little extra weight he added did the job. The RL must be *very* sensitive to unbalanced tires.

Let see how long i will have the smooth experience with the Conti DWS tires now.
Other than this 'vibration' problem, the tires are great. I really like them. Very little wear after 15k+ miles, very little noise and nice solid traction wet + dry.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Although I do my research (and often suffer form analysis paralysis ), online ratings, magazine reviews etc. never can depict what applies to my personal needs and tastes. Ultimately you have to choose what will satisfy you and not others.

Often people promote ratings to affirm their choices. "If I bought it it must be the best ever!" Just look at automobile enthusiasts (which tire ratings are mostly a subset of). When they but that new car, it is not just the car that suits them, it is a purchase that empowers them for world domination. And some of those same reviewers, if you have ability to watch and follow them in online forums, later they turn sour grapes when the newness wears off, or a new products is the hottest buzz. We all are guilty of it to some degree...it is just human nature.

Reviews are useful when taken into context and balanced to your personal needs. Look at the age of the reviewer, look at the tone of the re viewer's comments, look for balance of pro and con, look for personal opinion, look for an understanding of what the product is supposed to represent. Most importantly, understand that any review (even the so called 'experts' and journalists) are not subjective....especially about your needs and expectations.

Very few will make a purchase and admit it was the wrong decision. Typically when you see reviews to that nature, it is focused more on product defect and poor customer experience. But rarely will you see "It is a great XXX, but just not what I really wanted...".

+1 great observations
Old 08-12-2010, 06:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
I have the Hankook Evo V12 19" for about 10K miles. Have had no problems, look good, ride good, grip good and wear is normal. Anybody else tried these?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
damnn7 good luck! I'm working with NTB to get my DWS (245/50-17) replaced. Hopefully I'll have an update within a couple of days. I too had numerous balance problems (about every three weeks). Today three of the tires were out of balance...again. One of the tires appears to be "out of round". While it was on the machine spinning, you could see the thread moving slightly up and down. You know you could balance an oval but it certainly won't feel right on your car! I'm also getting a pull/drift to the right on highway speeds and it is NOT THE ALIGNMENT.

So good luck with the DWS, I'd certainly like to keep mine but not under the present circumstances. They are either going to replace (at least three of them) the DWS with new units or give me credit towards a new set of Michelins.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:32 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by white05rl
.... They are either going to replace (at least three of them) the DWS with new units or give me credit towards a new set of Michelins.
1. Who are you working with to get a replacement? The seller of the tires or Continental directly? I got mine from Tirerack.com.

2. How long have you had your DWS' for? How many miles on them?

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Racer

I ended up purchasing my DWS tires from Tirerack thru NTB. NTB matched the price and ordered them for me. It seemed to make sense at the time, but now that I am having problems it is complicating things.

I have approx 5,000 miles (a trip to Florida from Dallas accounts for quite a bit of that) since purchased - about 90-days ago.

Ya know, if I didn't drive so many highway miles I might be able to live with some of the problems. At the risk of being a perfectionist, I just can't live with the vibrations at highway speeds. Even after my visit to NTB on Sunday there's still a noticeable vibration (slight). I'm also holding NTB responsible since I spent over $1,000 with them...tires, road hazard, new TPMS, mounting/balancing, plus the 5-year alignment AND the frame/sub-frame adjustment.

I get in my wife's 08 528i with 33K miles and original Continnental (NOT the DWS series) tires and it is SOLID. Highway speeds feel like you're going through a school-zone, only with a little more wind noise.

My buddy has an 06 RL with almost the same mileage (just under 40K). He still has the OEM Michelins and there's no comparison between our cars on the highway. His is "rock solid". Mine rides better and is quieter, just has a non-standard massaging steering wheel, gooshy...ATV like road feel and massaging seats (LOL)!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Racer

NTB is assisting me with three replacement tires thru Tirerack/Continnential. It appeared that three of the tires were "out of round" (you could see them moving up and down while spinning on the balance machine). The balancing act has gotten old too. It's been less than a month since they were balanced last, when checked earlier this week - three of them were drastically out of balance.

Since the DWS are still on backorder, it may be a couple of weeks before I get the replacements. I've got my fingers crossed that this will put my problems to rest.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

You are a better man than I.

I would be ALL over them. In fact, until the appropriate tires where on my RL (any brand) there would be a Continental Exec on each wheel hub of my car in place of the tires and they better be able to run at highway speeds.

Honestly, the scarcity of this tire was a tick in the Cons column of my decision table. Exactly what you are experiencing was not worth the savings of the DWS.

And as I drove home from the airport tonight, I was thinking how pleased I am with the Serenity tires.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Racer

LOL, this is my last effort at being nice. NTB has been a big part of the problem and I finally have a Manager that understands Customer Service.

If this isn't resolved within the next week or so, then I plan on taking your tactic.

I thought it was interesting (and everyone should know this) that Continnental pointed me back to NTB and really wasn't interested in helping.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

When you wind up with 4 Continental Execs in place of wheels, be sure you introduce them to SHAWD. The Execs on the outer rear wheels will certainly enjoy the over-acceleration via the planetary gear. It may make them aware of the integrity their products need to accomodate a vehicle such as the RL.

Oh, and after some agressive SHAWD demos, I am sure those Execs will have cartwheeled into submission. BUT don't forget to rotate your Execs so the front drivers experience similar wear and tear.

I am a firm believe most corporate management are out of touch with the people they serve (as is our government). I am all for creative means to re-align that position.

Me thinks they will get the point.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You are so damn civil as evidenced by your:

"...Also, I got my $60 rebate AMEX card from Tire Rack yesterday. Drinks on me!

Think I'll opt for the BS Serenities as well and practice some "civility" by treating the boys to a toddy or two...
Old 08-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by Shotgun
You are so damn civil as evidenced by your:

"...Also, I got my $60 rebate AMEX card from Tire Rack yesterday. Drinks on me!

Think I'll opt for the BS Serenity's as well and practice some "civility" by treating the boys to a toddy or two...
LOL...how timely. I just got home from my Acura dealer. The $60 AMEX rebate card ran dry at 7:55 pm this evening. $20 went into the RLs tank, and the remaining $40 was applied to my tab @ TGIFs with a few of the techs from the dealer.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Contis can be nice tires, but I don't think the DWS should be classified as a UHPAS tire. They have excellent winter traction, but do suffer in other areas. They have a much softer sidewall, which leads to the skwirmy ride and heaving over onto the sidewall during fast turns (can cause blowout).

There are a lot of great choices out there. Want something quieter than the MXM's with great Grand Touring features? The Serenity's rock. Need more performance but need with all season features? Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and Pirelli Pzero Nero All Season.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I have to say I am more impressed with the Serenity tires now that we are in our rainy season. I have not had them break loose yet and I can say I have noticed how much I had pulled back with the MXM4s because of them getting so slippery.

The Serenity's feel very sporty and very sticky to me. Much more controlled in turns, and for my driving taste, I cannot say there is any squishy sidewall behavior. If I was doing a 'blindfold' comparison to the MXM4s I would think they were UHP tires over the Michelins.

There is a drop in city type AVG MPG about 1-1.5 MPG. I am not surprised as I find them stickier, they really feel glued to the road. I think Michelin uses harder rubber compounds which enable better MPG and tread life (which Honda prefers) but in their second half of life, they became noticeably slippery and noisy.

I am running the BS Serenity tires at 32PSI. The were at 35PSI when newly mounted, so I assume they have settled in now. I think I will bump it up to 35PSI again and see if there is an improvement in MPG and less morning belt 'warm up' behavior without degrading the smooth and quiet attributes...which has returned new car feel to my RL.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Intermediate

I just bought the Serenity tires, will be installed Monday. Hope they are as good as everyone makes them sound.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:31 AM
1st Gear

After reading this post I thought that I should add my two cents and confirm what the others are saying about the ExtremeContact DWS. I have an 05 RSX-S (215/45R17) and I have driven the DWSs about 10,000 miles over the past 8 months, and overall they are decent if you never drive above 65 mph. Smooth ride, not harsh.. However, the greater the speed the more unstable they feel. Even with 46 psi in each tire. On the highway the side walls feel extremely flexible and soft. It is really very frightening, making for a white knuckle interstate ride; especially if the wind is blowing. I am planning on dumping these tires ASAP. Let me know if you want these tires. I will sell them to you cheap! In addition, after a few thousand miles the back tires began to hum a little, similar to mud tires that I have driven, only smaller sounding. I tried roatating them to the front but that only shifted the sound. My car has been aligned and rechecked so there are no tire wear issues; just a slight mud tire hum now. I hope I can get these tires off my car before they put me in the ditch because of their unstable highway manners.

Go for the Michelins or the Bridgestone Pole Positions..
Old 09-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
I have 4 Conti DWS tires in a garage waiting for the winter. Will be used on stock 18" rims and Acura TPMS.

I am starting to get a little paranoid from your reviews. There are dozens of ppl on TireRack who are happy...I wonder if the tires just disagree with the RL.

I'm also hoping they disagree with the 2G and will be fine with 2.5G as I need the extra snow traction for trips to PA and there are a lot of hills there.

I do like to go out on the highway at speeds over 65 so if they can't hold the road, that would be a major bummer. My current tire is Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and I have nothing but positives to say about it.

Never hydroplanes, excellent wet and dry stability. Mediocre snow stability but not as scary as the Bridgestone 960s I had on my TL.

Either way, will report back after I mount the tires, might be sooner than later as I'd want to know if they suck before the snow falls. I sure hope not as I had to hunt them down. $700 for a set in 245-45/18.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
so i recently took a trip to from norcal to Seattle and felt the vibration on the steering wheel the whole way on the freeway. Also, at times the car would feel like it's shaking... kind of like when the wheels aren't round or something. Anyone experienced this with your BS Serenity? I'm wondering if this is a balancing issue or I should see if I could exchange for another set of BS serenity.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Burning Brakes

When did you last have an alignment done?
Old 09-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Advanced

it was shortly after i had the tires put on.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Cool. Definitely, take it back in. One of the tires maybe out of round, or maybe you need to have the wheel re-balanced. If they have it, look at Roadforce Balancing. http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/images/demo.cfm
Old 09-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Personally as an Oregon resident, I blame the shitty pavement job on I-5. The road has a nasty crown to it even on the recently repaved sections.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by yue3759
so i recently took a trip to from norcal to Seattle and felt the vibration on the steering wheel the whole way on the freeway. Also, at times the car would feel like it's shaking... kind of like when the wheels aren't round or something. Anyone experienced this with your BS Serenity? I'm wondering if this is a balancing issue or I should see if I could exchange for another set of BS serenity.
I had this issue with Yoko Advan S4s Took road force balancing to fix two, and the other two were out of round...so road force could only do so much, so you may have one or more bad tires. Actually rotating the front to back may fix the annoying vibration in the steering wheel, but it means you may still have bad tires that you will have to address.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I just did some highway cruising today and can say the Serenties are very smooth and quiet. No vibrations or chassis shimmy.

As I mentioned before, I can feel them 'warming up' in the morning for about a mile, but I would hesitate to call it flatspotting (as noticeable on my former TL).

I would get you balance checked. These glue-on wheel weights can fall off and throw out your balance.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the responses, all. Scheduled an appt for this Saturday so will report back after.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have ExtremeConti's DWS for almost a year now from last November. I'm actually surprised to see so many negative comments about them. I replaced OEM tires with Continentals and drove over 15K miles on them - absolutely in love with them! Last winter I didn't even noticed the snow - the car was glued to the road even on corners. My car does pulls slightly to the right but most of the time the road is not perfect so I can't really tell the reason Also, when I did research last year on TireRack, these DWS were on 1st or 2nd place in its class. Just my 2 cents
Old 09-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Safety Car

got Counti's DWS running on stock rims. Compared to RJs with Pilot Sport A/S the differences are as follows:

1. Lighter steering wheel feel (no clue how this happened with heavier rims)
2. The ride is softer
3. Road feel is gone
4. Handling seems to be as good as worn Pilots (150mi total put on them today)
5. No allignment yet but they seem to go as straight as Pilots did, no tramlining

Overall, I think DWSs are great. I take back my recommendation for Serenity's as DWSs should be a better handling wheel.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:15 AM
9th Gear

037...after a few months what is your impression of the Conti DWS?

After looking at the reviews here and also tirerack its between these and the Serenitys. I like the price and the fact DWS is great for wet weather but after the reviews on this board I'm not so sure now and leaning towards the serenitys.

If I pass on tirerack anyone know of a good place to buy either of the above tires in the NY area?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Safety Car

DWS handle better than I thought they would. Only down side is a bit more tread noise vs Pilot Sport A/S. Rain is no problem, no hydro-planning at all. No snow yet.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 037
got Counti's DWS running on stock rims. Compared to RJs with Pilot Sport A/S the differences are as follows:

1. Lighter steering wheel feel (no clue how this happened with heavier rims)
2. The ride is softer
3. Road feel is gone
4. Handling seems to be as good as worn Pilots (150mi total put on them today)
5. No allignment yet but they seem to go as straight as Pilots did, no tramlining

Overall, I think DWSs are great. I take back my recommendation for Serenity's as DWSs should be a better handling wheel.
this is a really intresting observations... partially b/c you have 18" wheels stock and aftermarket..so any changes you are seeing in the way your car feels/handles isn't because you chandged from 17 to 18 or 18 to 19... it's just a change in tire. albeit the wheel itself is different.. maybe the RJ's are lighter..but in terms of tire size... you are running the same size....

i'm about to buy tires...and have been reading all these reviews... i have been eying the Pilot Sport A/S +.... either as a 17 or in 18..depending whether I upsize wheels... sounds lke a good tire! my sotck MXMs are gone... i'll be anxious to see how the car rides/drives on new tires!!!

i live in so cal...so I don't care about snow... most my car will see is a day or rain here/there... i coudl run ps2s or other summer tires...only downside would be less tire life.... not sure i want to run a low treadrating tire.... for the cost of having to do tires eveyr year....
Old 11-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Safety Car

RJs are actually lighter, 7.5lb per wheel. If you don't need absolute best summer traction the Pilot Sport A/S+ is the best out there handling/tread wise in the UHP A/S category.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Drifting

as I live in so cal, I *could* get a tire that is ALL summer... the downside to those tires is that they also wear out a lot faster too...

I could toss some PS2s on the car... they cost not a whole lot more than the Pilot Sport A/S +'s.... except I'd be buying them twice as often.. maybe sooner... === $$$$

you have to pay to play...
Old 11-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Safety Car

I'd love to get PS2s next summer, but I'd like to know how much mileage I can expect out of them. They're pricey.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am also choosing between the DWS Conti or the serenity's... I live in New York City and good traction is a must for the winter time. Narrow roads and sidewalk parking.. Filled with a foot of snow each winter time is making me lean towards the DWS because it had a better rating on tirerack for traction on snow/ice.. BUT the reviews of it being unstable on a 2G RL is really making me want to choose the serenity's instead... WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE? =T
Old 12-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Intermediate

DWS on 18" Enkei ekm3's

Just figured I would update since it has been a while.
I eventually got an alignment at a local reputable place that specializes in alignment. Obviously the honda dealer I had do my initial alignment didnt know what they were doing becuase they aligned my Rl to TL specs

So handling and tramling greatly improved with proper alignment and balancing. I think that is KEY with these tires on our cars....

The tire is a beast. It absolutely loves WET and SNOW.
It eats snow almost like a dedicated snow tire.

I did lose a bit of MPG with these over my OEM Pax tires
but that was to be expected.

I do have a bit more road noise with these after about 20K mi

Synopsis: If you live in snowy areas, dont hesitate.
But make sure balance and alignment are dialed in

enjoy
Old 01-03-2011, 06:08 PM
8th Gear

Great helpful discussion

I am new to this community, but I want to tell all of you that this discussion is great. I am just about to get new tires for my 08 RL, and this discussion has definitely helped to alter my opinions. I was leaning to the Continental Extreme Contact DWS, but based on all that's been said, I think my choice is now down to the Micheline Pilot A/S Plus or the Bridgestone Turenza Serenity. Two different classes of tires for sure. I just need to decide whether I value handling or comfort more. Any thoughts on deciding between these two choices?

Quick Reply: BS Serenity or Conti ExtremeContact DWS?