Keyless entry, power doors locks, security, NAV no longer work

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keyless entry, power doors locks, security, NAV no longer work

Hi,

Yesterday, i could not open/start my 05 RL without a key. None of the electronics were working so i thought the battery was dead (just 5 months old).

Jumper cables didn't help either as if i didn't have a key fob near the car.

I was able to manually start it with the key and noticed NAV screen has no picture but my xm radio works. My remote key fob was starting to display low battery on 1 fob for months. Last week my main one started to show the same.

I plan to replace the cr2025 battery today but can't imagine that will yield results that will allow me to see my NAV screen.

Would anyone have a clue to diagnose? I have the technical manual that have DTC codes but my ODB-II doesn't display any errors.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Your door handle shorted out and blew a fuse. I think the fuse is 7 or 10, but go through them all if those are fine.
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 12:49 PM
10th Gear

Fuse was bad but new fuse blew out

You were correct, #7 (backup) was blown. I replaced it and as soon as i heard the dinging of the open door i thought it was cured.

Then 3 seconds later the dinging stopped and the same fuse blown. I presume there must be a short somewhere.

Any thoughts/clues on to start? Had noticed my negative battery cable was slightly loose but that was tightened up yesterday.

Thanks again.
ak2176 (08-03-2014)
Old 02-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 843 Posts
Bring em home 007...
Old 02-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Your driver's door handle has an internal short. It is common of 2005 models and was fixed sometime in the 2006 MY. The handle itself is about $200 and the dealer will charge $100 for labor. If you do not want to fix the issue, you can leave fuse 7 out, but you will lose the handle touch features. I believe the car will still unlock with the fob buttons, though. For the rest of your electronics, there is another blown fuse that you will need to replace. As long as the handle fuse is left out, all of your other electronics should work.

EDIT: I am not totally sure fuse 7 is your main issue. The handle fuses have been documented here many times before. I know you need to find the other blown fuse, and replace it. Leaving one of the two out should remove power to the handle, but allow power to the rest of the electronics.

Heavy is a search guru. Maybe he can find the other.

Last edited by oo7spy; 02-25-2013 at 02:52 PM.
ak2176 (08-03-2014)
Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Post 11 has trouble shooting steps. https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/sometimes-works-sometimes-doesnt-878925/

You will certainly want to check your other fuses.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:57 PM
10th Gear

Update - still no luck

Hi 007/Heavy

Still unable to pinpoint issue.

When I said earlier that I successfully replaced Fuse 7 (10a) for a few seconds before it blew i wanted to make certain you knew I was referring to under the dash fuse #7.

You mentioned checking out other fuses but I haven't seen anything wrong.

I have a tech manual in pdf and from what little I know about reading schematics,it appears that Fuse 7 (which is blown) and controls Keyless/Power Door Locks/Sec System is fed from 40a Fuse #15 from under the hood and that one looks fine, even switched with other 40a fuses.

Not sure if its coincidental but now running low on gas and my fuel filler door won't open using the button and tried wedging the door open and can't. Thought this was a mechanical latch so now struggling with that too.

I know Heavy pointed me to a post #17 but that wasn't easy for me to understand.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:36 PM
Suzuka Master

there is a manual opener under the driver side trunk liner.

my guess is that you have an electrical wire short that you will have to trace down.

it could be an aftermarket connection, failed component, or a damaged wire.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:35 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having the exact same problem with my 05 RL. The last time everything was working properly was on Thursday and it was downpouring when I got into my car with the keyless fob. Friday morning I had to manually start the car with my key and I have no power locks, windows, seat, nav. I do have the radio and xm. I checked the fuses and none appear to be blown. I live 3 1/2 hours away from the nearest Acura dealership, so I made an appt at the local Honda dealership for Monday. I am curious if your issue was resolved and what it was?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:42 AM
10th Gear

Smile I replaced the door handle and it's now working!!!

It took until last week to finally get around to changing the door handle.

All is good now. Thanks
Old 07-04-2013, 01:24 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by zayas
It took until last week to finally get around to changing the door handle.

All is good now. Thanks
I had my car at the Honda dealership and they found a short in my passenger door handle, so they replaced it at a cost of $662. Mostly everything is working, but not properly. My driver door will not allow me to touch the handle to open it, usually it beeps twice and unlocks when you touch the handle. I am having another problem that the automatic door locking feature continues to lock and relock several times during my drive. Another strange issue is the naviagtion has a red hue when in the driver 1 audio and info screens. The dealership is telling me I need to replace the drive handle now too to fix the rest of the problems.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

Great thread and I thoroughly enjoyed the reading. I just picked up an 05 RL that is exhibiting some of the problems listed here but I have a few that are listed.

#1: the Nav screen sometimes does not come on when you start the car, or it will go out randomly, sometimes rebooting and sometimes not. Occasionally it has to reload the CD. Sometimes it has an issue reading the CD. And occasionally it just freezes up. I've only noticed it freezing up when in the Info screen looking for diagnostic messages.

#2: the headlights randomly give me an issue with or the other not coming on at first. Usually one will come on and not the other, if you turn them off and back on they usually will both come on.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator

That sounds like a battery issue or a connection issue with the wiring harness.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

I have read this same type of problem from quite a few people. My passenger door handle started smoking the other day. Has anyone had trouble with the passenger door handle
Old 10-22-2014, 07:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by EKP08
I have read this same type of problem from quite a few people. My passenger door handle started smoking the other day. Has anyone had trouble with the passenger door handle
Yup.

Let me google that for you
Old 02-11-2015, 10:35 PM
Cruisin'

Disconnected both door handles, but fuse 7 keeps blowing...

2006 RL. 200K miles. The subject pretty much explains it. It started the "Check Keyless" message. No GPS screen, no power doorlocks, no keyless entry or start. No other blown fuses. If the GPS screen is bad, can I just disconnect it somewhere. I still love my car! Any ideas? The link to troubleshooting the wires is too much for me to handle. Should I find someone who can follow it to help me out. Even if you do follow it, what is the end game there? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Following the wiring diagram, fuse 7 supplies power (or at least connects) to:
Driver's door MPCS unit / left power mirror
Driver's door handle
Passenger's door MPCS unit / right power mirror
Passenger's door handle
Immobilizer Control Unit Reciever (right side of steering column)
IMOES Unit (?) (under right side of dash)
MICU (driver's under-dash fuse/relay box)
Guage Control Module
Wiper/Washer Switch
Power Seat Control Unit
Display Panel Control Unit
Moonroof Control Unit
Fuel Fill Door Opener Solenoid

For 2008 CBMS package:
ACC Control Unit (behind right side glove box)

Do any of these systems work when fuse 7 is blown or removed?
Old 02-25-2015, 08:44 PM
1st Gear

Just happened to me

I thought my battery just died it probably did. But yeah my car needs the manual key and won't display anything or key fob functions. Is everyone positive this can't be resolved by replacing the fuse ? I haven't actually checked but I'm guessing that's gone
Old 02-26-2015, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

The first step is always to replace a blown fuse. If it blows again, then you know you have an issue.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:56 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I had the same issue on my 06 rl, went to the closest Acura dealer and they told me about the common issue related to the p/s door handle and heating up overtime and fusing together all the wires in the door. They replaced the fuse and everything worked again for about 2 seconds and it blew again. They then took the door apart and cut the melted wires and rewired the door and replaced the fuse and its worked ever since but he recommended replacing the handle to completely fix the issue. So essentially replace the fuse, rewire in the door and last option is to replace the handle
Old 05-19-2018, 12:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2005 Acura RL, door handle short, door handle removal

Very helpful thread, gentlemen. Thanks for sharing descriptions of problems and various solutions. Hope this adds a little value.
Went to unlock the car and found the FOB batteries dead - saw that coming, though. Coincidentally, it's been raining a lot, and the car sits outside under a deck getting dripped on. Wouldn't start. No "Welcome Driver 1". Tried manual key - alarm goes off and lights flash. "Check keyless access" or whatever message comes on. Remote isn't opening or locking doors, trunk, anything. Reprogrammed via the simple key fob instructions on the back. Red light flashed once. Again, and the red light flashed twice.
Jumped on the forum and read about the loss of programming that can happen with the fob dying. But that didn't explain it all. Eventually, in a sequence I don't exactly remember, I learned of the door handle shorting from a failed and/or aged rubber gasket and design flaw, so here I am. Blew 2 10A fuses before seeing the driver's side door handle smoke. Watched as I put in the fuses, briefly saw the welcome screen, then watched a red light on the dash flash and it all go out.
First time this happened I tried to move the car to get the other one out of the garage. The car moved while honking and flashing. Second time/fuse though and it won't go in to gear - that's one question. Another fuse must have blown, or ? Puzzled here, but I guess I'll pull 'em all until I see for myself.
EDIT - removing the #13 under hood 15A horn fuse to shut the thing up kills the brake lights - guessing that keeps car from shifting into gear.
Manual says fuse 7 controls "combination switch control unit, gauge control module, immobilizer control unit-receiver, IMOES unit, driver's and passenger's MPCS unit, power tilt/telescopic steering unit, display panel control unit, navigation unit, keyless access control unit, ignition key light, and adaptive cruise control unit in the '06 model."
What have people done to improve the waterproofing there at the door handle/gasket?
A new/used handle is on the way ($150). I don't at all need the door light sensor communicating with the fob. How do I leave it disconnected so as to avoid this silliness again?
Handle removal per FSM attached. Note the very last step :wink:

Last edited by huRLingsnow; 05-19-2018 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Under Hood Fuse #13, 15A
Old 05-26-2018, 11:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
FWIW, after awkward door panel removal and exploration, I ultimately just disconnected the door handle sensor. It's very difficult to disconnect the metal rod that runs to the latch mechanism. Special tools and xray vision required. So I stopped, reassembled, reinstalled the #7 10A fuse, and everything works. I'll get $150 back from the door handle I purchased and never have to deal with that again.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:02 AM
6th Gear

Talking

I feel like I've finally joined the club as I just went through this failure and snipped the handles free of their demons to resurrect my girl.

I know I've seen it posted on this forum before, but I have to reiterate how this is the most helpful and enjoyable forum that I've ever been a part of. I'm on the jeep forums, a bunch of audio ones and others, but nothing is as useful and cooperative as the this one. Big thank you to everyone, especially Heavy and 007 for making this such an amazing forum. I never wanna give up on my LEGEND (re-badged) and this is the only way I can keep her alive. I was about to give in last night and ya'll pulled me through the storm yet again

Many many thanks to everyone.