Iakonafuji's 2009 RL Progression Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 11:03 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy
We need a sound clip.
I sent a few vids to the 2x guys on here who are also in the process of getting bags over Instagram, but that was recorded with a shitty mic (iPhone). I plan on getting a GoPro to mount next to the exhaust for a proper video.

Originally Posted by BDoggPrelude
You're holding out on something here. Those are different tires in that picture...

Kudos on that grab, you have a keen eye sir. Indeed, I am holding out on something. I'm on the only set of 19" 5x120 MAM MT1's here in the states right now, but I'm buying 18" Equip faces next week and going to either step or slant lip them out to 19's, rebarrel em, and rock those primarily. The SSR's are currently up for sale and haven't had any luck at $800
The following users liked this post:
Ratheruneeq (12-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2014, 11:10 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Iakonafuji
I'm on the only set of 19" 5x120 MAM MT1's here in the states right now, but I'm buying 18" Equip faces next week and going to either step or slant lip them out to 19's, rebarrel em, and rock those primarily. The SSR's are currently up for sale and haven't had any luck at $800
Just Googled those MAM MT1 wheels. I think there's a reason why you're the only one on those wheels.

To each his own.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:13 AM
Racer

Just Googled those MAM MT1 wheels. I think there's a reason why you're the only one on those wheels.

To each his own.
lol, they're quite the popular wheel in the Euro scene, especially on smaller wheelbase cars like Golfs or MK- Jettas in 18's. 19's are rare in Euroland, let alone in the US. But as mentioned, the Equips are next up, but if you couldn't tell enough as it is, I don't really keep wheels for long so I don't mind the ugly duckling set every once and a while
Old 03-27-2014, 11:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
We need picks of the ugly wheels for documentation.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:08 PM
Racer

We need picks of the ugly wheels for documentation.

Yeah, y'know what...I figure since this is my progression thread anyway, may as well put up pics from every stage since I'm sure one day in a few years I'll appreciate a timeline being in one place.

As an extra treat, I threw up some pics of the exhaust as well.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
I thank you for updating your thread frequently. Everything you have done to your RL so far is perfect...besides those wheels!
You said you swap rims often. You just purchased a set and already want something else. How do you plan to sell 19" 5x120's MT1's around here?

I think I finally made a decision for my kb1...Leon Hardiritt Gral
Old 03-28-2014, 01:49 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Freaking sweet. Keep the updates coming bruh!
Old 03-28-2014, 04:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MSW 6SP
I thank you for updating your thread frequently. Everything you have done to your RL so far is perfect...besides those wheels!
You said you swap rims often. You just purchased a set and already want something else. How do you plan to sell 19" 5x120's MT1's around here?

I think I finally made a decision for my kb1...Leon Hardiritt Gral
Thanks for the kind words bud. Leon Hardiiritt's should look sweet on your ride once ya get them. Addressing your concerns, I don't ever worry about selling wheels after I've acquired them. 5x120 is THE bimmer bolt pattern and finding buyers is never a concern, and storage is never really an issue either.

Also, to me it is fun having multiple sets of wheels to run

Originally Posted by StReCh4130
Freaking sweet. Keep the updates coming bruh!
Old 04-05-2014, 01:50 AM
Racer

JDM headlights and Legend Door sills were installed. We also lowered the front a bit more, and we're going to do the rears when we can get it on a lift.

The following 2 users liked this post by Iakonafuji:
oo7spy (04-05-2014), teh CL (04-26-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't think we have seen MMC JDM lamps here. Also, thanks for getting rid of the gold.
Iakonafuji (04-19-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 02:02 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Looks great. What plate bracket did you initially use and were you able to find a better solution.

I am very interested in the J-pipe, apparently none exist yet for the KB2.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pcloadletter
Looks great. What plate bracket did you initially use and were you able to find a better solution.

I am very interested in the J-pipe, apparently none exist yet for the KB2.
The plate bracket that many sites sell for Acuras/Hondas will not fit into the tow-hook thread, it is the wrong size. I used parts laying around my own and friend's garage to use a suitable backplate, but really it is just macgyver installed.

The RV6 J-Pipe is the same exact same shape, length, etc. as what we need in the KB2, but alas mounting it up this past week revealed that the flange that connects to the resonators is a different size. Either a custom fabrication needs to happen or simply wait for RV6 to make a KB2 suitable piece.
pcloadletter (04-20-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 07:48 PM
Racer

Also, to anyone who is curious...RV6 Previously had the 09+ as an applicable car for the KB1 PCD's (as in, on their site it said it would fit), however we also found out that there is no place for the EGR as demonstrated in their Accord V6 PCD's. Anyone interested in PCD's for their KB2 may have to go this route.
pcloadletter (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 03:25 AM
Racer

Some more pics of the current wheel setup. Lowered the rear a little bit more to alleviate some of the rake as well.

Ratheruneeq (09-11-2015)
Old 04-20-2014, 10:29 AM
Racer

Thanks for the update on the pipe and PCDs. I like the change to the lower grill, is it a wrap?
Old 04-20-2014, 04:18 PM
Racer

Thanks for the update on the pipe and PCDs. I like the change to the lower grill, is it a wrap?
Yeap, the upper is flat black and the lower is matte CF. I did it myself (have a few yrs experience with vinyl signs so this wrap was cake). Eventually I want to have the grille painted and the lower wrapped in actual CF
Old 04-21-2014, 06:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome, great progression. I'm starting my 06 and have fabricated an intake using a KN filter. I've ordered the Mugen Single outlet exhaust, Mugen coilovers, slotted rotors. I purchased the car in 13 as a 42,000 mile gem. My goal is to make a sleeper. I drive a lot and I love the RL. I just need to kick the crap out of the BMW scene here which is far too happy with itself.
I have a donor car found and I'm taking the whole thing just as soon as I my wife leaves for Jamaica! "It followed me home, swear!"
I'm going to flowbench the heads. Fab the exhaust back to the Mugens. Two summers of work.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by brokenhead
Awesome, great progression. I'm starting my 06 and have fabricated an intake using a KN filter. I've ordered the Mugen Single outlet exhaust, Mugen coilovers, slotted rotors. I purchased the car in 13 as a 42,000 mile gem. My goal is to make a sleeper. I drive a lot and I love the RL. I just need to kick the crap out of the BMW scene here which is far too happy with itself.
I have a donor car found and I'm taking the whole thing just as soon as I my wife leaves for Jamaica! "It followed me home, swear!"
I'm going to flowbench the heads. Fab the exhaust back to the Mugens. Two summers of work.
Very cool bro! Keep me posted on your build and let me know if there's anyway I can help (JDM headlights, scuff plates, carpets, etc.). Also. If that donor car happens to have the black wood interior, I'd trade you or pay you $ for the black wood trim. I'm dying to change mine and if anyone has any leads on these pieces, it'd be hugely appreciated.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:45 AM
Racer

My friend drove by while I was parked on the street, happened to have his camera on him, and snapped these shots

May move onto some cosmetic bits like the engine bay panels while beginning to plan a lip kit of sorts that remains subtle while differentiating from regular RL's (although I've yet to see another modded KB2 around haha). Going to put a hold on the PCD's and J-Pipe (in fact I just listed them in the Black Market FS section) since I had several obstacles during the installation.
Ratheruneeq (09-11-2015)
Old 04-26-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Looks

Every time I come over to the RL section I get a bigger itch to get my hands on a RL..

Keep it up, would love to see a lip kit..
Old 05-04-2014, 02:43 AM
Racer

If anyone has any leads on a Sarona Roof Spoiler for the RL (doesn't matter what color) I'll pay them retail for their used part
Old 05-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Instructor

My friend drove by while I was parked on the street, happened to have his camera on him, and snapped these shots

May move onto some cosmetic bits like the engine bay panels while beginning to plan a lip kit of sorts that remains subtle while differentiating from regular RL's (although I've yet to see another modded KB2 around haha). Going to put a hold on the PCD's and J-Pipe (in fact I just listed them in the Black Market FS section) since I had several obstacles during the installation.
This looks so good bruh. I'm always looking forward to updates on your thread.

Keep it up!
The following 2 users liked this post by StReCh4130:
Ratheruneeq (09-11-2015), tkosho24v (07-27-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 04:19 AM
Racer

Editing a quick video to demonstrate the changes in exhaust and induction sounds now that the Mugen exhaust and Takeda SRI have had enough time to break in

Should have it up later on tonight...Stay tuned.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by StReCh4130
This looks so good bruh. I'm always looking forward to updates on your thread.

Keep it up!
Thanks bro! To be honest, between you, Max, and myself, it's been fun seeing a few peeps take the RL to new levels. Not that previous and other current members haven't done extraordinary things to their cars, they have all my respect, but you guys are def pushing the boundaries of the KB1, whilst I'm over here, the lone KB2 ranger...haha

Anyways, some more details about the exhaust and intake before the video:

I've gone through my fair share of exhaust companies on my previous cars...5Zigen, Tanabe, J's Racing, and Mugen. The former pair were great upgrades from stock, but the build quality and overall end product could not touch the latter two with a ten foot pole.

The Mugen KB2 Exhaust is without a doubt my favorite exhaust I've ever owned. It truly feels built FOR the RL/Legend and I believe Mugen took a lot of consideration into it's fabrication. The RL is not a Civic Type R, TSX, NSX, etc. or any of the other sports models that Mugen also manufactures parts for. In fact, it is pretty much on the opposite end of the spectrum. Instead of an exhaust with an ostentatious decibel level, the Mugen exhaust remains silent while cruising, but makes it's presence heard and felt when you go WOT. Zero rasp is present from start up to WOT as well, in fact the noise emitted from the exhaust at start up is of such a low frequency, my iPhone camera and friend's GoPro camera cannot record it, nor can my speakers play it back. My upcoming solution to this is to buy an external microphone for the GoPro to record a better clip.

The Takeda SRI has been another recent addition and whilst any gains from this would be nominal, the noise it produces sure is intoxicating. Below 2-3k rpm, it is silent, save for quick blips of the throttle to let in sips of air. However, going WOT and at VTEC, it is a different story. It sounds like a finely oiled machine gun is muffled underneath the hood...and for such a reasonable price and for such a huge gain in aural sensation, I would do this mod ten times over. In fact, I convinced 2x friends to buy intakes for their cars (one is an RL owner, one owns a Jetta...be nice to him) just from taking a ride in my car. If you need help getting the Takeda intake, shoot me a message and I'll help you out

Without further ado, here is the finished video. I got a bit carried away with the addition of cruising clips, but I figured it couldn't hurt. Enjoy. And again, if any of you have questions regarding the KB2, feel free to shoot me a message.

PLEASE WATCH IN 1080p FOR BEST SOUND QUALITY:

The following 4 users liked this post by Iakonafuji:
oo7spy (05-14-2014), pcloadletter (05-15-2014), Ratheruneeq (09-11-2015), rockstar143 (06-04-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 03:45 PM
Instructor

Fuji, you're killing me with your dope vids and photos. First of all, because my car is parked. Secondly because you are making me second guess my already planned out exhaust idea. So much want!!! lol. Keep doing your thing bro.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Fuji, can you confirm if the 3rd gear VTEC lag exists on the KB2? I am pretty sure any KB1 can replicate it, and I am partially convinced it is either an intended part of the design or a normal byproduct.

If you aren't aware, in 3rd gear and manual mode, the tachometer will "hang" around 5500-5900 rpms even as acceleration continues. It has been discussed a number of times, and you will be pushing 90 mph by the time the hangup is over. I just wonder if it was affected by the re-timed transmission in the KB2. https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/3rd-gear-vtec-problem-video-854364/

In any case, if you don't get caught, it can be a real blast trying to replicate it.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:33 PM
Racer

Fuji, can you confirm if the 3rd gear VTEC lag exists on the KB2? I am pretty sure any KB1 can replicate it, and I am partially convinced it is either an intended part of the design or a normal byproduct.

If you aren't aware, in 3rd gear and manual mode, the tachometer will "hang" around 5500-5900 rpms even as acceleration continues. It has been discussed a number of times, and you will be pushing 90 mph by the time the hangup is over. I just wonder if it was affected by the re-timed transmission in the KB2. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854364

In any case, if you don't get caught, it can be a real blast trying to replicate it.
Prior to your post I didn't know of this issue for the KB1, and really don't 'think' it affects the KB2. But if this is a common occurrence for KB1 owners, it may be worthwhile for me to make a quick GoPro video of some pulls through 3rd and 4th to demonstrate if the problem was alleviated in the MMC.

For what its worth, the shifts during WOT feel so much better and responsive compared to my drive in my friends KB1. His has zero bolt ons, so it could have been a placebo effect too, but that's just my experience with the KB1 vs. KB2.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator

For what its worth, the shifts during WOT feel so much better and responsive compared to my drive in my friends KB1.
That's why I commented on the re-timed KB2 tranny. They made the shifts faster as they are terrible in the KB1. Between the slow shifts and throttle response, I would quite often think of this VTEC joke.

It seriously felt like the car was spooling up.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts
Car looks good. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more pictures since it's really rare to see a modified KB2.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:42 PM
Racer

If you aren't aware, in 3rd gear and manual mode, the tachometer will "hang" around 5500-5900 rpms even as acceleration continues. It has been discussed a number of times, and you will be pushing 90 mph by the time the hangup is over. I just wonder if it was affected by the re-timed transmission in the KB2. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854364

I have never felt lag in the KB2, but I have never driven a KB1 with a 3.5. With the Takeda intake, it's easy to hear the cam changeover in the J37A2.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:02 PM
Racer

That's why I commented on the re-timed KB2 tranny. They made the shifts faster as they are terrible in the KB1. Between the slow shifts and throttle response, I would quite often think of this VTEC joke.

It seriously felt like the car was spooling up.
After a few runs I can safely say there's no lag whatsoever...Pulling through 3rd got me beyond 90 pretty quick so I wasn't able to get many in before I got nervous that the blues and twos would pop up, haha.

Originally Posted by titomang
Car looks good. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more pictures since it's really rare to see a modified KB2.
Thanks I appreciate it! Yeah I don't see many KB2's on the road, let alone modified ones. If there are any other modded KB2's, I'm not aware of them yet.

I have never felt lag in the KB2, but I have never driven a KB1 with a 3.5. With the Takeda intake, it's easy to hear the cam changeover in the J37A2.
I love the way the intake sounds when it's at WOT...And on top of it all, installation was a breeze. I couldn't be happier with the $ spent on this.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:17 AM
Senior Moderator

You cannot feel a lag. You have to watch the tachometer in 3rd gear, manual mode, between 5500-6000 rpm, under WOT. Auto mode will not do it. It is a very specific circumstance and isn't very noticeable if you aren't observing carefully. I believe you can play games with the throttle to lessen the effect, and it can last half a second.
Türk (05-18-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 02:27 PM
Racer

You cannot feel a lag. You have to watch the tachometer in 3rd gear, manual mode, between 5500-6000 rpm, under WOT. Auto mode will not do it. It is a very specific circumstance and isn't very noticeable if you aren't observing carefully. I believe you can play games with the throttle to lessen the effect, and it can last half a second.
I should've been more detailed in my reply, but there is no float of the tach between 55-6k, the needle climbs with no problem. I'll try and make a video of it later this weekend
Old 05-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Racer

Just some iPhone pics. Also took out the all weather RL mats and put in these Mugen mats for the meantime (will be ordering the JDM Luxury RL mats eventually).

I need to take pics of the rear, I just put on 10mm spacers that my friend had laying around. Ended up liking the way they looked so now they're on for good.
Ratheruneeq (09-11-2015)
Old 05-17-2014, 11:21 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
When are the new wheels coming?
Old 05-18-2014, 12:25 AM
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
My car does it on D3 mode. I'm not sure about D but if it does on D3, would be probably same on D.

(Remember the vid from at stall speed test thread )

Türk
oo7spy (05-19-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 02:00 AM
Racer

When are the new wheels coming?
Just waiting on a solution to camber adjustment before I get THE new wheels. However, in the meantime I actually enjoy the MAM's a lot, but I'll probably pick up another intermittent set if something catches my eye.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Türk
My car does it on D3 mode. I'm not sure about D but if it does on D3, would be probably same on D.
Türk
Thanks. That video is perfect. I still don't understand how the speed increases while the RPM decrease. Also, a lot of people have worked with this occurrence, but I don't think anyone every tried D3. I know a lot tried D, and it wouldn't do it.
Türk (05-20-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Just some iPhone pics. Also took out the all weather RL mats and put in these Mugen mats for the meantime (will be ordering the JDM Luxury RL mats eventually).

I need to take pics of the rear, I just put on 10mm spacers that my friend had laying around. Ended up liking the way they looked so now they're on for good.
If they were blue to match the RL highlights, they would be perfect.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:04 AM
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
Thanks. That video is perfect. I still don't understand how the speed increases while the RPM decrease. Also, a lot of people have worked with this occurrence, but I don't think anyone every tried D3. I know a lot tried D, and it wouldn't do it.
I'm not sure but I THINK THAT:

Because there is an "acceleration" (ft/s2) and our gearboxes are A/T. (Torque converter)

Even you remove pushing gas pedal while accelerating, your speed still will be increasing for a while

If we had a manual gear box, would not be so. (because engine speed and whell speed are connected to each other)

(I think lock up unlocks up during speed loss of the engine)

Let's discuss...

Quick Reply: Iakonafuji's 2009 RL Progression Thread