Hello! Introduction, a pic or two, and my current project

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello! Introduction, a pic or two, and my current project

I'm in my first ever Acura, been driving Volkswagens my entire life, but our last one was written off (their fault) and I never found one to replace it. We ended up buying a Nissan Xterra.

Fast forward a bit, I bought a POS Corolla to get to and from work, and my buddy found a 1998 Acura 3.5RL forsale online... blown radiator, and asking $1000.

Went to look at it, and I fell in love. So much luxury. Fast, comfortable, classy, everything my Corolla isn't! And I'm not afraid of replacing a radiator, so we offered her $700 and she took it!

I didn't take any before pictures, but it was filthy inside & out when I bought it, here are a couple of how it sits today:

Here it was right after I washed it:

My only plans as of now are to finish doing the radiator & timing belts, then put some Synthetic Oil in it with a new oil filter, and enjoy

Engine bay as of this morning, all I got done today was remove the belts and one of the timing belt covers:

Stay tuned for progress!
Old 04-19-2014, 11:28 PM
Intermediate

After being unable to remove the harmonic balancer (couldn't find the tool necessary to keep it from turning while I unbolted it) I decided the timing belts look brand new enough so I left them as they were

I'm ready to do an oil change on it, putting Mobil 1 pure synthetic with a Wix filter.

Found out that my radiator cap is bad from all the rad-seal they put in before I replaced the radiator... so I need one of those, and I pulled out my PCV valve to find it completely clogged with gunk... gonna get one of those as well as a new air filter.

Anything else you guys can think of while I'm in there?
Old 04-20-2014, 06:43 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought my 02 used in october and personally i changed the water pump when i had my timing belt done ,from what i know about the old seller im positive he never changed it and im pretty sure he never changed the timing belt either. You havent mentioned anything about mileage which would most likely help the more experienced members give you advice.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:05 AM
Intermediate

Oops! It has 255k km, (158k miles) on it. Original everything except timing belt as far as I can tell.