Back Handed Complement on Autoweek.com

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:03 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back Handed Complement on Autoweek.com

Writr up on th GS 460 had the following quote.

I like midsize luxury sedans. I like the Audi A6 and S6, the BMW 5 Series, hell, I even like the Acura RL.

Autoweek Lexus Story

Sort of positive.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with his opinion. The GS is obviously a poor seller for Lexus, but the fact that they sell more then the RL is a testament to the brands strength NOT the car.

I drove all the cars in the class. The GS was my least favorite. The 535 was my 1st pick but I couldn't get passed the lack of value and poor ergonomics. The RL was actually the second followed by the E and then the GS. I didn't test drive any Caddy's. Next time that will be one of my stops.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:17 AM
A Saitama Garage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have actually had the thrill of driving a GS around a car and driver racetrack before. It is the worst handling mid-size car I've ever driven. I did this in 2005 - and things might have improved since then - but the GS and the Cadillac CTS were the worst on that track. The ES300 was shortly behind.

The STS though, was quite impressive, as was the BMW 5 series.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:58 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
In line with my decision a couple years ago. I REALLY liked the GS, but when I looked at the RL, I REALLY liked it better.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
That comment was posted in another thread a few weeks back. But do not take it out of context.

The RL is not the wrong car. It is, perhaps the wrong car to be positioned as the Acura Flagship which the market expects to go toe to toe with other premium badges.

And if Acura believed in the RL, they would have done a better job marketing the car to proclaim how and why it is an Acura Flagship. They simply threw out some nicely elegant, but quiet ads and expected the market to quietly agree.

In essence, he is stating they need a vehicle to drawn attention to the brand. A "look at me flagship" and /or halo car (NSX) to get Acura on the radar as a brand. Then perhaps the RL would have been appreciated for what it is and not what the moldel's position is expected to be.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by TampaRL
That comment was posted in another thread a few weeks back. But do not take it out of context.

The RL is not the wrong car. It is, perhaps the wrong car to be positioned as the Acura Flagship which the market expects to go toe to toe with other premium badges.

And if Acura believed in the RL, they would have done a better job marketing the car to proclaim how and why it is an Acura Flagship. They simply threw out some nicely elegant, but quiet ads and expected the market to quietly agree.

In essence, he is stating they need a vehicle to drawn attention to the brand. A "look at me flagship" and /or halo car (NSX) to get Acura on the radar as a brand. Then perhaps the RL would have been appreciated for what it is and not what the moldel's position is expected to be.
YIKES! Sorry I posted to the wrong thread! (Howdathappen?) I was posting to the thread where mention of the RL being the "wrong car" was made by Colliver.

I hate the short EDIT time out. *sigh*
Old 02-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Funny. It did have me scratching my head when I read it But I thought it was from way above and you just forgot to add the related quote.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
In line with my decision a couple years ago. I REALLY liked the GS, but when I looked at the RL, I REALLY liked it better.
I was looking at GS too but decided on RL.