Rear headrests and Automatic windows/moonroof

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Rear headrests and Automatic windows/moonroof

Heey guys, me and my friend was trying to figure out how we can get the rear headrests to move down on his 2005 RL, when we press the button you can hear a clicking noise in the dash trying to turn something on but the headrests does not budge. We have tried jerking the seat belts and fastening them but still doesn't move, we have also tried forcing them down while the button is pressed. We have taken the car to Acura they were rude and wanted 100 bucks to "diagnose" the problem . Next problem is, the key fob feature where all windows and moonroof will open, which they will not and it also will not do it using the key, basically after holding the fob unlock button for about 3-4 seconds the red light stops, we have tried all combinations on the unlock button and have turned the passenger lock off, is this a feautre of the RL? Or is it on later models i would assume so since its on the 04 TL's, maybe something is disabled in the navi?

-thanks for any suggestions in advance
Old 10-06-2008, 03:12 AM
Instructor

c'mon 40 views and no suggestions? :thumbsdow
Old 10-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Islandsnowz
Heey guys, me and my friend was trying to figure out how we can get the rear headrests to move down on his 2005 RL, when we press the button you can hear a clicking noise in the dash trying to turn something on but the headrests does not budge. We have tried jerking the seat belts and fastening them but still doesn't move, we have also tried forcing them down while the button is pressed. We have taken the car to Acura they were rude and wanted 100 bucks to "diagnose" the problem . Next problem is, the key fob feature where all windows and moonroof will open, which they will not and it also will not do it using the key, basically after holding the fob unlock button for about 3-4 seconds the red light stops, we have tried all combinations on the unlock button and have turned the passenger lock off, is this a feautre of the RL? Or is it on later models i would assume so since its on the 04 TL's, maybe something is disabled in the navi?

The headrests are released down via a solenoid that allows the spring loaded rests to go down. (They are manually pulled up). If you are getting some clicking when the button is pressed then it maybe a relay that controls the mechanism on the parcel shelf. This relay may have a fuse on the output side so the relay clicks but the power is not applied to the headrest solenoids. Check the manual for fuses, if not defined then check all fuses.
The functionality of the fob and the windows maybe related to either the programming of the fob to the car or the calibration of the window and sunroof up/down end stops. If the battery is low or has been disconnected the car will do strange things. If you have 2 fobs then try the other one. Do you see Welcome driver 1 or driver 2 when turning on the car in the MID? Yes this is a feature of ALL 2nd gen RL's. I suspect calibration if your 2 fobs remember the 2 drivers settings.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the responce.. We will look into the manual and see if we can find that info on the fuses, and yes when the door is unlocked with fob 1, it says Welcome driver 1. Whats funny is the feature doesnt work even using the car key holding it left or right in the key hole, car just locks and unlocks. When you say calibration are you meaning that maybe the car and fob are out of sync and need to be re-synced or taking out the car battery for awhile then hooking it back up? Haven't tried using 2nd fob, will try this later on today tho.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the responce.. We will look into the manual and see if we can find that info on the fuses, and yes when the door is unlocked with fob 1, it says Welcome driver 1. Whats funny is the feature doesnt work even using the car key holding it left or right in the key hole, car just locks and unlocks. When you say calibration are you meaning that maybe the car and fob are out of sync and need to be re-synced or taking out the car battery for awhile then hooking it back up? Haven't tried using 2nd fob, will try this later on today tho.
Are you sure that the fob and keys are the original? The key is coded too. I think that the correct cut will unlock and start the car but the programming of the key is necessary to link the key to the car. The fob also needs to be linked. Taking the battery out definitely requires a recalibrate of the window limits etc.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

I asked my dealer for the window cal procedure and he faxed it to me. I don't remember it and I'm not home. Try asking the dealer for the info
Old 10-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Instructor

yeah fobs are original. im gonna keep searching for the cal procedure, i guess otherwise our only choice will be the dealership.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I wonder if your fobs are linked? Go to the manual and try unlinkind and relinking them.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chas2
I wonder if your fobs are linked? Go to the manual and try unlinkind and relinking them.
hey um... can you go into detail on the meaning of the fobs being linked? Are you saying to re-program the fobs? Only reason im unsure of trying that because the feature doesn't work using the official car key in the door as if the feature is disabled or confused . I dont think the RL likes us lol.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
I had the key fob problem as well. I believe you need to "reset" each window by holding each individual down button for 5 or 10 seconds and then hold each up button for the same amount of time. The reset problem for me was also evidenced by the master driver switch not working for the rear windows.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
hey um... can you go into detail on the meaning of the fobs being linked? Are you saying to re-program the fobs? Only reason im unsure of trying that because the feature doesn't work using the official car key in the door as if the feature is disabled or confused . I dont think the RL likes us lol.
I don't know if this will do anything, but it may help. It is not exactly the problem you describe, but you might as well try it.

I have had the Driver 1 fob unlink, and so my wife's Driver 2 always took over. I finally went through the unlink and relink procedure described below for the Driver 1 fob, and it seemed to work. I was almost ready to unlink hers because she always got to the door first and it set everything to Driver 2, but I think that would have caused other problems when she wanted to drive the car...

This is NOT the reprogramming issue you speak about that has to be done at the dealer...

From the 2006 Manual Page 170

When you unlock the door with your
remote, each remote activates the
keyless memory settings related to
that remote. The driver’s ID (Driver
1 or Driver 2) is shown on the back
of each remote.

Here are the settings activated with
the remote;

-Driving position memory
(see page 157).

-Audio system settings
(see page 81).

-Customized settings
(see page 203).

-Climate control settings
(see page 202).

-Navigation system preferences
(see the navigation system
manual)

To turn off this feature, press and
hold the LOCK and UNLOCK
buttons at the same time. The LED
in the remote will blink once. Then
release the buttons. Doing this
cancels the keyless memory settings
for that remote and restores the
default settings.

Some of them keep the same
settings as they were set previously.

To turn the keyless memory settings
back on, repeat this procedure. The
LED will blink twice to indicate the
feature has been turned on.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having the same exact problem with the rear headrests as well. I can pull them up, but I cant get them to go down. I looked in the owners manual but there doesnt appear to be a fuse dedicated to the headrests.

I have an appointment with Acura on Monday to hopefully resolve.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Instructor

sweet, thanks. I will try this when i get home tonight and let you know if it helped.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jjfrehe
I am having the same exact problem with the rear headrests as well. I can pull them up, but I cant get them to go down. I looked in the owners manual but there doesnt appear to be a fuse dedicated to the headrests.

I have an appointment with Acura on Monday to hopefully resolve.
Hey man, good luck on that and let us know what the dealer says the cause of the problem is. . Im surprised these things dont have a manual release like other motorized electronics.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by drolds72
I had the key fob problem as well. I believe you need to "reset" each window by holding each individual down button for 5 or 10 seconds and then hold each up button for the same amount of time. The reset problem for me was also evidenced by the master driver switch not working for the rear windows.
Mad props man, it works now! thanks. Now i just gotta figure out these rear headrests lol.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Intermediate

So my rear headrests have been fixed by the dealer. The exact verbiage from the invoice is:

"Inspected and found wires under rear seat damaged. Removed rear seat and lower portions and repaired wiring."

I realize that's pretty vague, but at least its a start. What you are describing is exactly the issue I had.

Hey man, good luck on that and let us know what the dealer says the cause of the problem is. . Im surprised these things dont have a manual release like other motorized electronics.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jjfrehe
So my rear headrests have been fixed by the dealer. The exact verbiage from the invoice is:

"Inspected and found wires under rear seat damaged. Removed rear seat and lower portions and repaired wiring."

I realize that's pretty vague, but at least its a start. What you are describing is exactly the issue I had.
Oh wow, was this covered under warranty or did you have to pay for the repair. Also how long did you have to wait for the repair?

Last edited by Islandsnowz; 10-11-2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: correction
Old 10-11-2008, 06:29 AM
Intermediate

Oh wow, was this covered under warranty or did you have to pay for the repair. Also how long did you have to wait for the repair?
Luckily it was covered under warranty. The labor was 1.5 hours.