Loaded 4.62 RL software

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Loaded 4.62 RL software

Just removed the old disk, popped in the new one and the system immediately started loading the new software. Took about 5 minutes and it displayed a progress bar on the screen while it did it.

The guy voice is gone. Only female voice available.

There are now blue directional arrows on the road lines for one way streets and divided highways/streets. you have to turn this feature on from the "other" icons list.

Zagat database is updated to 2007

I can't be certain but the route calculation seems faster. I set a test route for a destination that was about 40 miles away. Calculated it in about 2 seconds.

I assume maps have been updated with the latest info available.

Not sure if there are any additional voice commands. I doubt it.

Everything else seems the same but I didn't look very hard.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Just removed the old disk, popped in the new one .
Super! Now all you have to do is make a copy of that DVD and upload it on a file server for me to grab
Old 09-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
One of the descriptions was voice command feedback was deleted. What does that mean?

When you twirl the dial and reads the label back to you?

Hopefully it is not the directions reading back to you.

My wife heard the man's voice is gone. She wants the man's voice back, but with a sexy european accent.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Chas2
One of the descriptions was voice command feedback was deleted. What does that mean?

My wife heard the man's voice is gone. She wants the man's voice back, but with a sexy european accent.
Hmm, I didn't notice that. She was definitely talking to me at the normal spots. They may have gotten rid of voice feedback in some places. I know that when you go to certain screens it was sometimes say the name of the button you were on. That was actually kind of annoying. Maybe they got rid of that. I'll have to check
Old 09-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by calvin_hobbes
Super! Now all you have to do is make a copy of that DVD and upload it on a file server for me to grab
I tried making a copy of the old disk before (to keep as a personal backup). It wouldn't copy all the files. Not sure if it's copy protected in some way.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What he said!! *cough*i'll come by to pick mine up*cough*...

Old 09-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Instructor

Just finished ordering mine for $200 and some odd change. The website indicates 4.62 is on backlog till 09/14/07.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Uh Oh!

I got mine today as well. I loaded it in and as Spicy said it immediately started loading the software with a progress bar that took a few minutes. It then started up and was working for a few seconds before going to a "in line diagnostics" screen. I can't get it out of that screen. The only option it will let me select is Perform Diagnostics and then it hangs up. I've taken the disc out and started the process over. I've turned off the car and tried again to boot up but no go. Anyone know a trick to get it out of the diagnostics screen?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Just finished ordering mine for $200 and some odd change. The website indicates 4.62 is on backlog till 09/14/07.
I ordered mine 2 nights ago - it'll be here tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

From the '05-'07 Service Manual, Volume 2, page 23-137 it says the following:

Follow the steps below the prevent the ["In Line Diag"] screen from showing up on the future:

* Hold down the buttons (Menu+Map/Guide+Cancel for about 5 seconds (the "Select Diagnosis items" screen will appear).

* Hold down the Map/Guide button for 5-10 seconds (A screen with a "Complete" button, will appear).

* Touch "Complete", and then the "Return" button (the system may re-boot).

* Restart the vehicle and confirm normal operation.

Originally Posted by kmcheney
I got mine today as well. I loaded it in and as Spicy said it immediately started loading the software with a progress bar that took a few minutes. It then started up and was working for a few seconds before going to a "in line diagnostics" screen. I can't get it out of that screen. The only option it will let me select is Perform Diagnostics and then it hangs up. I've taken the disc out and started the process over. I've turned off the car and tried again to boot up but no go. Anyone know a trick to get it out of the diagnostics screen?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:20 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts

Voice command feedback is like this:

You say, "Menu"
Command feedback says "Menu"

Nav says "How would you like to route to your destination?"

You say, "Address"
Command feedback says "Address"

And so on.

As far as I'm concerned, voice command feedback takes extra time. Only problem is, in noisy situations, the Nav sometimes misunderstands you and you catch that when the feedback comes. It can be turnedoff on earlier versions, but I turned mine back on for that reason.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I would think the deleted voice command feedback was the MALE voice.

I'm not ready for an new DVD. I will wait another year, maybe two. EVERY major highway in Tampa is under destruction with new on / off ramps etc. Just need the traffic flow to settle down a bit before investing $200. I'll set my clock twice a year and use the GPS to tag my favorite Thai resturant not on my current Zagat.

Now...what ELSE can I spend that $200 buck on?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Safety Car

Uh Oh x 2!

Originally Posted by kmcheney
Hey, I got mine today also. It worked as Mikey noted, then I was playing around in set up to try to see what the voice feedback was. I saw there was a menu choice Voice Feedback On Auto Off. Only Auto could be highlighted.

I shut down the car, had dinner, then went to the gym, and same as above with kmcheney. I am in the in line diagnostics screen. Exact same behavior, and I cannot get it out. Any suggestions?

I guess I will have to take it to the dealer on the weekend. Technically I could take it tonight until 2:00 am, but I am too tired to do that.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

SCROLL UP 3 POSTS. I posted instructions from the service manual. Oh, heck, here is the info (again).

From the '05-'07 Service Manual, Volume 2, page 23-137 it says the following:

Follow the steps below the prevent the ["In Line Diag"] screen from showing up on the future:

* Hold down the buttons (Menu+Map/Guide+Cancel for about 5 seconds (the "Select Diagnosis items" screen will appear).

* Hold down the Map/Guide button for 5-10 seconds (A screen with a "Complete" button, will appear).

* Touch "Complete", and then the "Return" button (the system may re-boot).

* Restart the vehicle and confirm normal operation.

Hey, I got mine today also. It worked as Mikey noted, then I was playing around in set up to try to see what the voice feedback was. I saw there was a menu choice Voice Feedback On Auto Off. Only Auto could be highlighted.

I shut down the car, had dinner, then went to the gym, and same as above with kmcheney. I am in the in line diagnostics screen. Exact same behavior, and I cannot get it out. Any suggestions?

I guess I will have to take it to the dealer on the weekend. Technically I could take it tonight until 2:00 am, but I am too tired to do that.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Safety Car

2007AcuraRL:

You are great! Thanks for the assist. Worked perfectly! Now I don't have to go the dealer!

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I tried making a copy of the old disk before (to keep as a personal backup). It wouldn't copy all the files. Not sure if it's copy protected in some way.
If you search, I made a complete step by step guide on ripping and copying the navi dvd. It is not write protected at all.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

2007AcuraRL:

You are great! Thanks for the assist. Worked perfectly! Now I don't have to go the dealer!

Thanks!
You are welcome. Maybe you could follow CSMEANCE ripping instructions and send me a copy
Old 09-07-2007, 06:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
[mod hat on]
Just a Moderator note here:

Since this is a significant upgrade, I'll keep this thread here in the main forum for a while before I move it to the Electronics/navi forum.
[mod hat off]

I just ordered mine yesterday, too. I never use the guy voice anyway, so I won't miss it.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thank you to 2007AcuraRL

2007AcuraRL

A big thanks is in order. The instructions from you a few posts ago saved me a 4 hour round trip drive to the nearest dealer and a whole lot of frustration.

There is something amiss in the process that caused a couple of us to have this situation develop so I suggest everyone considering this upgrade keep these instructions from him close by.

Thanks again. This forum is very helpful in so many ways.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Voice command feedback is like this:

You say, "Menu"
Command feedback says "Menu"

Nav says "How would you like to route to your destination?"

You say, "Address"
Command feedback says "Address"

And so on.

As far as I'm concerned, voice command feedback takes extra time. Only problem is, in noisy situations, the Nav sometimes misunderstands you and you catch that when the feedback comes. It can be turnedoff on earlier versions, but I turned mine back on for that reason.

You describe voice command feedback correctly. This is exactly what happens. There is some getting used to this as there is now a noticeable pause in the system before something happens, which is probably the time it would have taken to repeat your command. I have to test more, but it seems as if my voice commands are not being picked up as readily as before. It may be just the pause.

At certain levels, there is still feed back. For example, on the Voice Command Help, the labels are still read back to you as you pass over them, like "e umlaut" or "Radio on"

The route calculation does seem speedier, and some new roads, like the 2-3 year old Route 29 bypass north of Lynchburg, VA exists, whereas before the system was depositing cookies in open space.

POI seems to be missing data, for example, SUNOCO seems not to have paid for the logo information, whereas Exxon and Chevron have, and my closest gas station is not on the map. Used to be a Mobil until it changed to SUNOCO.

The whole getting into the diagostics menu tree looks very interesting. I did not have time to play with it, but it looks like there are a lot of things you can look at there. First time I have gotten into that menu.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Go Big Blue!

You describe voice command feedback correctly. This is exactly what happens. There is some getting used to this as there is now a noticeable pause in the system before something happens, which is probably the time it would have taken to repeat your command. I have to test more, but it seems as if my voice commands are not being picked up as readily as before. It may be just the pause..
When I drove the car today I tried to pay attention to things with the new 4.62 software. I haven't noticed any extra pauses like you describe. There are pauses but that was happening before. I think it does that to be sure you're done talking. I've noticed when you're on the highway or there's extra background noise, it can cause it to pause longer. Maybe that's what you noticed today.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Safety Car

Problem Resulting from 4.62

OK, something must have happened when I went into on line diagnostics.

Voice recognition does not work well. I have to literally yell to make it "hear" me.

Is there a way to increase the sensitivity of the mike before I take it to the dealer.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Voice recognition does not work well. I have to literally yell to make it "hear" me.

Is there a way to increase the sensitivity of the mike before I take it to the dealer.

Thanks

I will check the Electrical Troubleshooting Service Manual and let you know....
Old 09-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I loaded up 4.62 tonight when I got home from work. It took me to the strange diagnostic screen which I was able to get out of using the Map/Menu/Cancel then Map button sequence. The update appears to have solved my problem with the "Heading Up" setting not being saved each time I shut the car down. I didn't notice any voice command issues or mic sensitivity issues like was noted a couple of posts above. I tested out the "Display Traffic" command and it was recognized and responded to immediately.

The old disc was version 4.31A (I had had 4.55 in the 05 I traded in last week).
Old 09-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks

There is no mike gain sensitivity adjustment. There is a level meter you can get to from the diagnostic mode which will show you the microphone level of your voice. Get there as follows:

From the '05-'07 Service Manual, Volume 2, pages 23-137 and 23-151, it says the following:

* After the display changes to the Slelect Diagnosis Items menue, select the "Functional Setup" menu).

* Select "Mic Level".

* Press the TALK button on the steering wheel and in a normal voice say "testing". The TALK indication on the screen should momentarily turn gree and the test "Now Recording...." should appear in yellow. If the Mic Level indicator on the screen does not briefly turn gree, check the wiring from the steering wheel talk button to the navigation unit. If there is no "Mic Level" movement when you speak, then you should check the wires running from the microphone in the roof console to the HFL unit and the navigation unit.

* Press the BACK button on the steering wheel. The Cancel indicator on the screen should momentarily turn green.

Exit the Diagnostic Mode as I described previously.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Go Big Blue!

Just spend a good amount of road time with the car. I was "exercising" all the features. It's definitely quicker on the route calculations and rerouting. They must have rewritten some of that code.

Also, I didn't notice any reduction in voice recognition feedback. Not sure what some of you are referring too. I also still have the VOICE RECOGNITION FEEDBACK option under BASIC SETTINGS. Although, the male/female voice option is now gone from there.

Several missing roads from the 4.55 disk are now showing up. That's good to see.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 2007AcuraRL
There is no mike gain sensitivity adjustment. There is a level meter you can get to from the diagnostic mode which will show you the microphone level of your voice. Get there as follows:

From the '05-'07 Service Manual, Volume 2, pages 23-137 and 23-151, it says the following:

* After the display changes to the Slelect Diagnosis Items menue, select the "Functional Setup" menu).

* Select "Mic Level".

* Press the TALK button on the steering wheel and in a normal voice say "testing". The TALK indication on the screen should momentarily turn gree and the test "Now Recording...." should appear in yellow. If the Mic Level indicator on the screen does not briefly turn gree, check the wiring from the steering wheel talk button to the navigation unit. If there is no "Mic Level" movement when you speak, then you should check the wires running from the microphone in the roof console to the HFL unit and the navigation unit.

* Press the BACK button on the steering wheel. The Cancel indicator on the screen should momentarily turn green.

Exit the Diagnostic Mode as I described previously.
Thank you again!

This may have fixed it. The voice recognition is much more sensitive to a normal spoken voice, but I have to drive around and test it some in the morning.

I think where I went wrong is pressing one of the buttons on my way to the gym last night during the in line diagnostics set up screen we went into to try and kill it. I noticed that the mic recording level turned on (not the same screen that you point to above, but a similar looking level display) Although I was at stoplight when I did all this button pushing, I was playing music. My guess is the level reset itself to the music volume.

I think the pauses I was describing was because voice recognition did not "hear" me speaking in a normal voice...which also explains the wrong commands being executed and occassional the prompts for "please repeat" or "pardon?"

The voice recognition would only execute correctly if I was near yelling.

I will let you know in the afternoon if the level reset was successful.

Thanks again!
Old 09-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I'll wait until the disc is under $100 on ebay. I just bought last years version for $40.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Safety Car

Thank you again!

This may have fixed it. The voice recognition is much more sensitive to a normal spoken voice, but I have to drive around and test it some in the morning.

I think where I went wrong is pressing one of the buttons on my way to the gym last night during the in line diagnostics set up screen we went into to try and kill it. I noticed that the mic recording level turned on (not the same screen that you point to above, but a similar looking level display) Although I was at stoplight when I did all this button pushing, I was playing music. My guess is the level reset itself to the music volume.

I think the pauses I was describing was because voice recognition did not "hear" me speaking in a normal voice...which also explains the wrong commands being executed and occassional the prompts for "please repeat" or "pardon?"

The voice recognition would only execute correctly if I was near yelling.

I will let you know in the afternoon if the level reset was successful.

Thanks again!
Unfortunately, it did not work, so I have an appointment at 6 tonight.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Safety Car

Don't know what the dealer did. They claim they did not do anything, but voice recognition works perfectly now.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:41 PM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

I ordered my version 4.62 Navi DVD on 09/06. We'll see how long it takes to get here.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Cruisin'

Hi, I am new user and am very excited to be here. I am picking up my 2008 RL Tech Pack today hopefully. I am wondering, does the new version of nav have "text to speech"? In other words, does it say the street names when it gives directions. For example, does it say, "turn left on Main st" or just "turn left at next intersection" or something like that.

Thanks for a great forum.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by copper34
Hi, I am new user and am very excited to be here. I am picking up my 2008 RL Tech Pack today hopefully. I am wondering, does the new version of nav have "text to speech"? In other words, does it say the street names when it gives directions. For example, does it say, "turn left on Main st" or just "turn left at next intersection" or something like that.

Congrats copper, and welcome!

Yes, the RL's Navi will text to speech 'read' street names. However, in the SETUP Menus, you must select the level of voice feedback you desire. It will only read the street names (assuming they are digitized) when the setting is on Max Voice Feedback.

Also, just a heads up, the text to speech voice is very mechanical as opposed to the canned Navi voice prompts.

Text to speech also works on Nav Traffic alerts, general AcuraLink Messages, Calendar reminders, etc.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lflorack
I ordered my version 4.62 Navi DVD on 09/06. We'll see how long it takes to get here.
I just got mine on Ebay.
Should have it in a few days.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Congrats copper, and welcome!

Also, just a heads up, the text to speech voice is very mechanical as opposed to the canned Navi voice prompts.
The TTS voice is a little better and a little less mechanical in version 4.62. That was one noticeable change over 4.55.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks! Happy to be here.

Where would I post a question about being able to use the built in voice recognition in my cell phone which works very well while connected to the bluetooth system in the RL?
Old 09-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by dwboston
The TTS voice is a little better and a little less mechanical in version 4.62. That was one noticeable change over 4.55.
That's not something I noticed DW, but you could be right.

When I change to the XM "HitList" preset channel, it still pronounces it as HI-TEL-IST. LOL, always annoys me for some reason
Old 09-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Intermediate

Thanks! Happy to be here.

Where would I post a question about being able to use the built in voice recognition in my cell phone which works very well while connected to the bluetooth system in the RL?

I've asked the same question, and it can't be done from what I've found. You can initiate the call on the phone, hang up, then say 'redial' with the RL's system. That's about as close as I've got. But even then I can't use the voice commands on my phone because it's trying to listen through the BT system that's connected.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts

Yes, the system does have this capability.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks everybody for your responses. It is so nice to have a place that I can get the info that my dealer doesn't even know.

Quick Reply: Loaded 4.62 RL software