Map update killed AcuraLink?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 10:05 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Map update killed AcuraLink?

Recently bought a 2019 A-Spec. Activated 3 mo AcuraLink trial. Vehicle showed expiration date 1 year from enrollment. All was well.

Decided to update maps. Got 2021 maps as 2 disc pack from Acura Navigation. System and map updates went fine. Database Ver.ST009.08.00X. Software Ver.4.01.2801.

AcuraLink has not worked since the update. Vehicle shows current contact is “AcuraLink Factory Default” with expiration dates of 2012-09-15. 2012!

Rep at AcuraLink assured me that my subscription was valid and to talk to the dealer. Local dealer wondered why AcuraLink sent me to the dealer. Still, dealership opted to order a new telematics module to be installed this Thursday (8/5).

In the interim, AcuraLink has run me up the tech support chain. I’ve had calls every other week that mostly entail me doing a factory reset and refreshing my app — without any success.

Has anyone else had AcuraLink stop working? After a system / map update? Anyone with a 2012 expiration date?

I’ll post an update after new module is installed.

2012!
Old 08-03-2022, 10:13 AM
Cruisin'

Older AcuraLink threads

Forgot to add that I had read threads about 2018 Brown DVD updates killing AcuraLink with 2012 expiration date.

I mentioned to AcuraLink that there were documented cases where map update killed AcuraLink. In other words, this is (or should be) a known issue to AcuraLink. Rep replied that they never heard of this, which was probably true. I asked if they had any entries in a knowledge base. No comment on that. Just started the first or many unproductive factory resets.

No knock to whomever posted in 2018 about AcuraLink issue, but no real resolution details were shared. I suspect that AcuraLink never divulged what the root cause was, however. Magic I guess.

Last edited by Try2BWise; 08-03-2022 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Caleity
Old 08-03-2022, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
I've done map updates on our 2019 MDX hybrid advance and not had any issue with acuralink. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:49 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Personally, I did not even bother with Acuralink, even when the car was new and there was a 3 month free period. With Apple Carplay, I just use Waze. Data does not matter as it is unlimited. I would think Waze is a better system for the maps. I really do not see any use for Acuralink as a cell phone will work just fine for most issues, which you are already paying for anyway.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:18 AM
Cruisin'

Resolved

Dealer replaced telematics unit. Provided picture of the new unit’s IMEI code to Honda as part of my open ticket. AcuraLink magically works again.

Will I keep it? Maybe? This is one of those expenses where I let my wife decide if the cost and perceived safety it provides balance. She’s the one that went from “SH-AWD on your (1st gen) RDX is unnecessary” to “the MDX must have SH-AWD or I won’t drive in the rain”. Who knows …
Old 12-11-2023, 12:36 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
December 10, 2023. Dealer spent close to a year and a half trying to get the correct updated telematics unit for my 2015 low mile MDX after CDMA went offline. Acura did it under the extended warranty and eventually they got it working perfectly. A couple weeks ago I updated the NAV maps using the Acura approved HERE site, and it killed my Acuralink; I verified that my subscription is good but the console shows 2015 as the expiration date. The dealer is going to shoot me after what they went thru to get it working again. What a PITA. Here we go again. Now I have to open a case with tech support tomorrow, and see if they can figure out how to get it working again. This is my last Acura I think. Too much work trying to keep things working, I just spent a lot of money on the front suspension because the rubber cracked and disintegrated in 60K miles. On top of it the front brakes are shuddering again after 30,000 miles on new rotors. And I drive easy too.

Last edited by merlin the wrench; 12-11-2023 at 12:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ESHBG (12-11-2023)
Old 12-12-2023, 06:25 PM
Racer

As an update to this thread. I recently applied the correct NAV update and it did the exact same thing to the telematics unit. Have an open case with Acuralink tech support at this time. Waiting on a resolution.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:44 PM
Racer

12/13/2023 update for anyone who has similar. HERE technical support answered and said that in their opinion the NAV update reset the system to defaults and that Acuralink Technical support are the ones to fix it. I thought about it before falling asleep last night and realized there are hidden tools on the NAV unit for testing so I Googled testing telematics and followed the procedure. There were no DTCs, the unit reports active with good signal strength, and a test status report gave all the information on the unit that someone would need to reach it (like what is on your smart phone card). I forwarded screenshots to Acuralink of those three screens. I will post back in a few days if they fixed it.
Old 12-23-2023, 11:16 AM
Racer

Update 12/23/2023. Nothing yet, Acuralink basically is taking a we'll get to it when we get to it attitude and when I ask to speak with my casemanager, the liaison tells me not allowed. My suggestion is DO NOT UPDATE YOUR NAV UNIT UNTIL ACURALINK CAN HANDLE THE PROBLEMS. Dealer tells me they get the same run around from Acuralink staff. FWIW, do a search, Acura forums have multiple reports of failed updates.
Old 01-07-2024, 03:18 PM
Racer

as of Jan 7 2024, still doesn't work. NEVER buy a Honda or Acura again. It has been 6 years since the 2018 fiasco in other models, and they haven't solved the problem where NAV updates hose the Acuralink. In my humble opinion, they are either incompetent, or they don't care.
Old 04-03-2024, 04:35 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by merlin the wrench
as of Jan 7 2024, still doesn't work. NEVER buy a Honda or Acura again. It has been 6 years since the 2018 fiasco in other models, and they haven't solved the problem where NAV updates hose the Acuralink. In my humble opinion, they are either incompetent, or they don't care.
The Acuralink is sure a hit and miss. I remember I purchased the subscription in my 2nd year of MDX but all in a sudden it would stop working. I didn't do anything to the car but it just stopped working. I did call Acura and they did say everything was fine on their side. It happened a few times. Occasionally it would come back on its own after a few days or weeks. There was once that the tech said he did something at the back that seemed to make it working again, but I could have remembered it wrong.

But op's case where it has been so long is very unusual, gold luck..
Old 04-19-2024, 10:29 PM
Cruisin'

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
Whish I would have seen this before map update killed my acuralink

Just updated the maps in my 2020 RLX-SH and 2019 MDX for the first time since buying the 4 and 5 years ago. Acuralink is broken in both. Tech support has not been useful assured me despite coincidence of timing that it was not the map update. As others have said expiration says default dates before the car was even made. They are ordering the telematic unit for the RLX now. On the MDX the android auto also stopped working when I did the update. So not only did I pay money for an update, I paid for them to break acuralink on both cars.